Home > Forum > Sunrise area tips

Sunrise area tips

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
08 Jul 2004 11:20 - 08 Jul 2004 11:21 #169538 by andyski
Sunrise area tips was created by andyski
I told myself I was going to give up the skis for the summer, but I just can't. I'm going to head to Sunrise tomorrow (Friday) seeking turns and was wondering what was recommended. I'll be solo and have minimal glacier experience. Is Interglacier crevasse-free, are any crevasses easy to avoid and is it relatively gaper-safe right now?  Other recent trip reports indicate the chutes on the ridge N of Sunrise are on life support, what about Burroughs? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul_Russell
  • [Paul_Russell]
More
08 Jul 2004 15:38 #169540 by Paul_Russell
Replied by Paul_Russell on topic Re: Sunrise area tips
I was on the Interglacier two weekends ago and there were no sign of crevasses, but that could of changed since then.

More
09 Jul 2004 10:50 - 09 Jul 2004 10:56 #169544 by md2020
Replied by md2020 on topic Re: Sunrise area tips
we were there on Mon July 5. It was great snow but melted out pretty good in the basin. We were able to ski down to nearly the level of the Glacier Basin Camp with a bit of effort connecting snow patches on the opposite side of the creek. Lots of little rocks at the bottom of the first steep pitch and below. Glacier ice patches were starting to show at top of first steep pitch and crevasses were beginning to open. Pretty easy to avoid these hazards - the little rocks in the basin were the most annoying. Skiers left on the glacier was the smoothest but there are crevasses openning on that far edge of the glacier.<br><br>

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
10 Jul 2004 14:57 #169548 by andyski
Replied by andyski on topic Re: Sunrise area tips
Thanks for the beta<br>