Home > Trip Reports > August 21, 2010, Cerise Creek Anniversary Glacier

August 21, 2010, Cerise Creek Anniversary Glacier

8/21/10
Posted by randerson on 8/23/10 3:27am
This report is also available on our group's blog: http://vanbcfc.tumblr.com/

BF4 set out with skis for the 34th month of skiing in a row at Anniversary Glacier (near Cerise Creek). CF5 brought along a shovel to go shoveling down the shovel slope. Here€™s what happened:

We left from Van around 8:30 am to get to Cerise Creek, which is a bit North and East (?) of Pemberton. If you have an older version of 103 hikes in BC, don€™t follow the driving instructions. There is a pulloff for the trailhead on the side of the road a bit past the salt-shack. We loaded the gear in our bags, found the summer trail, and set off on a walk. The hike itself is really nice and the skiing was great for August. The top 1/3rd was a bit suncupped, but the rest was just soft enough to get a real edge in. For a few turns it felt like real skiing, not just summer novelty turns. But fear not, there was plenty of BFery to be had, which is described below.

And onto the BFery:

1) WASPS!!! Not the people kind. The bite you sting you make you feel not good kind. Ugh. Two nests! The first nest had a sign €œWasp€ and poor K9Jelly got stung first and came back in fear. CF5 and I ran through, and we each got stung. F.

THEN! On the way back just after the boulder/rock field, I noticed my legs below my knees were burning. It was a tingling/burning/weird feeling and I got nervous. Were my legs giving out? Did I get some sort of burning plant sap on them? A few seconds elapse. It isn€™t going away. I stop and look down. Ohhhh, I€™m covered in wasps. Stingstingstingstingsting. Turns out a wasp sting hurts for 5 minutes and then goes away, but what a waste of 5 minutes.

Sidenote: turns out K9Jelly is smarter than a human. When we got back to the first nest, he refused to walk on the trail. I figured I€™d go first and set the example€¦CF5 and I both made it through without issue. Smart K9 decided to dive into the woods 20 meters, walk around, and THEN meet us sting-free. Smart Jelly.

2) HAIL! Little tiny sleet-like pellets of hail greeted us on the way back for about 10 minutes. Then it just rained/drizzled for the rest of the way out. I suppose we didn€™t really BF ourselves this time, but it still sucked.

3) Wrong gear! CF5 owns crampons. They€™ve never been used in an actual hike. We tooled around with them on some snow once, but we didn€™t HAVE to use them there€¦it was more of a novelty/practice. This trip we got to the glacier and CF5 didn€™t bring crampons to get up the snowfield. The perfect time to use them in a real setting, and they sat at homecollecting more dust. BFery to the max.

All in all, a great BCFC trip. 6 hrs roundtrip with the skiing and at least it only rained on the return. Snickers bar pie (google it) is a great hiking dessert/snack. See you in September.
Please check out the link for pictures: http://vanbcfc.tumblr.com/

It also has some other TAY trips listed.

Joyeux Anniversaire!

Amazing - horrid actually - how much has melted out over the years.

pretty damn funny BFery, that blog.  Spend some more of it over here from time to time..

Welcome BF-ers! Wait, Marcus, can I say that out loud on this site?

Funny stuff - we've all done healthy portions of the same tom foolery.  See you up there!

Most excellent adventures. Very funny and honest blog, but I can't believe that no one in the whole group has ever forgotten their ski boots. Or maybe just forgot the liners and insoles. Or remembered the boots but they were the tele boots and the skis were the AT ones. ...Maybe when you get more experience....

I've seen that sign before! Seems a little odd when you are skiing and see it...Took a picture of it.

Reply to this TR

august-21-2010-cerise-creek-anniversary-glacier
randerson
2010-08-23 10:27:30