Home > Trip Reports > July 3-5, 2004, East Trail Sourdough to Dege

July 3-5, 2004, East Trail Sourdough to Dege

7/3/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Joedabaker on 7/6/04 8:04am
I get lazy on holiday weekends and due to proximity from my house to Sunrise- 3 days of skiing was not out of reach. This time my friend Mark and I skied the chutes and bowls from Antler Peak to Dege. It was not planned but it worked out that way.  The snow had dramatically decreased from last week. I would say a loss of 2 to 3 feet of consolidated-gone. The snow is still perfect corn. No slop and easy turning. Easy to boot out. Going away fast!!! I ran into Greg Simon and sons. Good to talk to you-Yes your report was very accurate.
We started at Antler skied it 4 times then walked East to the next one continuing on through Dege. I think Dege is done for the year unless you ski down and hike out the way of your decent which is half way down. At the melt rate we have been experiencing I guess that most (not all) chutes will be done and North Bowls are good another week here, but you may have to down climb into the starts. Many descents from the trail drew large crowds and cameras. I should have taken a shot of the spectators. Their comments were always amusing-You going to ski that? I offered rides, but got no takers!

There are more pics of the melting chutes and bowls at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/159477815dPYaFH/1

Have fun!
JDB
Great, Die Hard effort, Joe.
You found more great lines after the rest of us had moved on.  Good show.

Reply to this TR

july-3-5-2004-east-trail-sourdough-to-dege
Joedabaker
2004-07-06 15:04:32