Home > Trip Reports > 8/15/2010, Heliotrope Ridge, Mt Baker

8/15/2010, Heliotrope Ridge, Mt Baker

8/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Merk on 8/15/10 2:44pm
CJ, Ryan, and myself got our August turns in today on Heliotrope Ridge.  We departed Lynnwood at 6:15 and were on the trail by 9am.  Continuous snow was found just above the lower climbers camp, about 5700?  We decided to avoid the main path up the first steep pitch, and instead booted up the right side which was less crevassed.  Once we gained the top of the steep section, we made the switch to skins for the rest of the way up to the top of the ridge.  There were only a few crevasses and cracks showing, but all were easily negotiated.  The weather was absolutely perfect.  There was a steady breeze keeping us cool as Seattle broke a heat record for the day...

For the ride down, I must say, this is the best August snow conditions I've ever seen!  We enjoyed smooth and fast corn for our turning pleasure all the way back down to the dirt.  We were hiking back by 3pm, car at 4:15, and gorging on BCR's at Diego's by 5:30.  Awesome day!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/merkleyb/AugustTurns2010Baker#
Nice photos, Merk!  The first one totally captures the WA TAY feel.

Zealots in shorts
On Zealots
Beauty day
Grins

I dunno... I kinda dig CJ's long orange shorts. mad style!!

I thought those were knuckle-dragging trousers.

Yeah,, they are all the rage. Especially on Baker in August.

orange shorts

I thought my wife gave me a lot of crap for those orange shorts! LOL

Great trip!

What an AWESOME day!!! Can't stress enough how well Merk pulls these trips together.

author=RecycleBob link=topic=17311.msg72993#msg72993 date=1282024398]
What an AWESOME day!!! Can't stress enough how well Merk pulls these trips together.

RecycleBob, welcome aboard with post #1!!!  Good to have you with us during these fine summer turns.

CJ, I think your shorts are bad-ass!  And the headband was a nice touch as well...

Reply to this TR

8-15-2010-heliotrope-ridge-mt-baker
Merk
2010-08-15 21:44:22