Home > Trip Reports > 08.08.10, Mt. Rose (Reno)

08.08.10, Mt. Rose (Reno)

8/15/10
US elsewhere
Posted by kam on 8/8/10 2:31pm
I€™m not crazy.  I just like to walk, and ski a little, that€™s all.

Over the last three weeks I€™ve been keeping my eye on the status of this low-hanging fruit from Reno.  Finally, it was ripe enough to pick.  I rounded up some hungry hands, Ben and Gabe, to help.  The approach was a piece of cake, of course:

Wow, August turns never tasted so good -- sun-ripened to perfection (Joy-O-Meter  = 150 ft/ 2200 ft = 6.8%!) :

More photos

Low-hanging adventure, cool. 
Makes the PNW this summer feel even phatter! 

Kam,  I'm seeing a pattern develop here with your route selection and ski objectives.  I kind of remember seeing you take Silas on a stream crossing adventure with rapping down some sun cups at Tioga Pass.  Now, you took Ben and Gabe through the jungle for 150vf run. 

;D

looks good. better than the other Mt Rose. I wonder 'bout the Desolation W. Peaks this yr. (above the lake)

In Tahoe, one can drive, even with a Subaru most years, to the bottom of a nice patch that usually lasts all summer.  There are years that the road gets to rutted to drive anything but a 4WD truck on, and in the past the patch has melted out by late September due to very lean winters. 
No real need for hiking in Tahoe to get to your summer turns.  This patch is not large, but by Tahoe summer standards it is quite skiable.  In the summer, more often than not, there is usually a nice little bump line with a kicker at the end, and some jibber rails too.
If you don’t know where it is, good luck finding it.  It is a great place to hang out on a hot summer day and meet some new friends.

Reply to this TR

08-08-10-mt-rose-reno
kam
2010-08-08 21:31:30