Home > Trip Reports > July 5, 2004, Sunrise chutes

July 5, 2004, Sunrise chutes

7/5/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by GregSimon on 7/5/04 6:56am
We missed out on the big party last weekend, but were inspired by the stories and photos to see what was still left.  Arrived at the Sunrise parking lot about 9:30 with my ski posse (11 year olds Zach and Preston) and headed to the ridge.  There were still some nice chutes off the back of the ridge down into the basin, so we did some yo yo runs on those til about 1:30 (5 laps for me, 3 for the boys).  The boys also amused themselves building a jump and a butt-slide down in the basin.  The best skiing was in the chute that takes off at the #12 marker on the nature trail (don't know the name) - but all of the chutes we skied were just barely navigable in places.  Getting a bit narrow with lots of surprise rocks.  Still, very much fun was had.  The boys especially enjoyed popping up out of a chute onto the ridge and drawing lots of stares from passing hikers.  Snow conditions were best just after we arrived.  Got a bit sloppy and sluffy after noon, but still pretty good.  I'd say that the chutes down to Huckleberry basin have only a few days left, if anything.  Sort of "rock skis only" terrain.  But, then, I think a good life motto is "all skis are rock skis".

On the way back down we met Joedebaker heading out to Antler chute and others to the east.  He was expecting those would hold up a bit better.  We'll see what he reports.

Reply to this TR

july-5-2004-sunrise-chutes
GregSimon
2004-07-05 13:56:28