Home > Trip Reports > 8/3/10 - ONP, Obstruction Point Dusk Patrol

8/3/10 - ONP, Obstruction Point Dusk Patrol

8/3/10
WA Olympics
Posted by Gary_H on 8/4/10 3:03pm
Inspired by Skier8484's Heliotrope Ridge report, Jan, Jeff, Tyler and I headed for Obstruction Point Tuesday evening. At the trailhead we evaluated our options. The original plan was to head for Elk Mountain, however a building cloud cover had already obscured the upper slopes of Elk.

Tyler recalled there were several northerly facing bowls along Obstruction Ridge that should still have good coverage. We followed the trail for about a half mile and then crossed to the ridge line and began exploring as the clouds continued to threaten our chances. Near one ridge peak, we noted a slope that held promise, but elected to explore further. We scrambled down through some talus and traversed across the ridge to another area that initially looked promising, but after closer inspection, proved to not be what we hoped for.

So, we headed back up the ridge to the first slope we had found. We debated whether the rock band a couple hundred feet below us would block our descent. Tyler, ever confident, bet Jeff the first beer that the line would go and quickly dropped in to prove his point. His whooping as he approached the questionable terrain confirmed that Jeff was on the hook for refreshments.  ;)

Snow quality was surprisingly good. The sun cups were small and the turns were buttery smooth. We dropped about 500 vf to a small tarn in the bottom of the valley. The first part of the climb out was shrouded in fog, but as we approached the ridge line, the wind had blown the clouds away and the sun was shinning. We enjoyed the views for a short time and then dropped in for a second sweet run. By the time we regained the ridge, the setting sun had turned the sky a blazing red.

Here's a few pictures and a link to some more.
    1. Tyler's second run
    2. Mt Olympus
    3. Sunset

http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20100803ObstructionPointDuskPatrol#

Gary
Beautiful photos and style as usual!
Big score and good news.    :)

I love that last photo!  Really captures summer skiing, ontop of a ridge, big pack, no snow in sight!

Here is some lyrics to go with that sunset:

The mist of JULY is in the gloamin', and all the clouds are holdin' still.
So GIT YER SKIS and let's go roamin' through the heather on the hill. 8)

glad you guys found some decent turns .. your pix are great gary ...

author=blitz link=topic=17269.msg72779#msg72779 date=1281043211]
Here is some lyrics to go with that sunset:

The mist of JULY is in the gloamin', and all the clouds are holdin' still.
So GIT YER SKIS and let's go roamin' through the heather on the hill. 8)

Impressive Alisa  :D
You are certainly honing your poetic skills. Do I detect a little "Radiohead" influence here?  ;)

author=kath link=topic=17269.msg72782#msg72782 date=1281050102]
glad you guys found some decent turns .. your pix are great gary ...

author=trees4me link=topic=17269.msg72777#msg72777 date=1281031504]
I love that last photo!  Really captures summer skiing, ontop of a ridge, big pack, no snow in sight!

author=telemack link=topic=17269.msg72770#msg72770 date=1280991226]
Beautiful photos and style as usual!
Big score and good news.    :)

Thanks for the comments,
The pictures do not begin to capture the beauty of constantly changing weather we experienced.

Gary

Nice find.  Maybe it will snow again before all the snow melts.

author=GaryJan link=topic=17269.msg72786#msg72786 date=1281068080]
Impressive Alisa  :D
You are certainly honing your poetic skills.

that is a pretty verse, but I cant take credit
it is from Brigadoon...

What a great way to spend the evening.  Did you bring out the Guides, or other pattern base boards?  Nothing more versatile than that for laps on moderate angle and firm conditions, eh?

Love that last pic..

Nice pics!

That is a great run.  I am surprised that there is still that much snow in that basin. Here is what it looked like about a week before the road opened..July 17...

Nice work guys.  Don't forget to put a September ski of the Coleman-Deming on your calendars now!

author=davidG link=topic=17269.msg72809#msg72809 date=1281153902]
What a great way to spend the evening.  Did you bring out the Guides, or other pattern base boards?  Nothing more versatile than that for laps on moderate angle and firm conditions, eh?

Love that last pic..

Guides would have skied well in this snow, but the weapon of choice was our conventional AT gear. The upper section of the slope was fairly steep, so boot packing was very efficient.

author=runcle link=topic=17269.msg72816#msg72816 date=1281202741]
Nice pics!

That is a great run.  I am surprised that there is still that much snow in that basin. Here is what it looked like about a week before the road opened..July 17...

We were pleasantly surprised too!

author=skier8484 link=topic=17269.msg72817#msg72817 date=1281203590]
Nice work guys.  Don't forget to put a September ski of the Coleman-Deming on your calendars now!

Sounds like a plan!  :D

Reply to this TR

8-3-10-onp-obstruction-point-dusk-patrol
Gary_H
2010-08-04 22:03:02