Home > Trip Reports > August 1, 2010, Sunrise little patches, little skis

August 1, 2010, Sunrise little patches, little skis

8/1/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by wolfs on 8/2/10 2:32pm
The idea was to go on a family hike. Brought the Bigfoot figls along, in case encountered some patches along the trails that were worth a quick skitter down without making the family wait too long. has some flower pix and scenics.
Hey, I think you used the "secret" Sunrise Stash!  8)  It's right below the corner from Frozen Lake by the return trail junction, correct?  We used that 2 months last year---woo hoo

Good to see our turns still good a week later! Nice!

I have used the Bigfoot fern gliders skiing Shuksan back in the '90's and would love to find some again.  They were fun little things, a foot outlined in pink as I recall. 

I suspect you have had the Bigfoots for some time.  I would like to know where one could find something even remotely similar.

author=Lisa link=topic=17262.msg72724#msg72724 date=1280875102">
I suspect you have had the Bigfoots for some time.  I would like to know where one could find something even remotely similar.

Yes, they are the classic pink-toe model. They aren't even really mine, long term loan from my brother because I have a big garage full of ski crap already... Apparently, Bigfoots might be sought after but are elusive - the entirety of ebay (U.S.) has none for sale! However, there are the euro ebay sites. If can deal with language barriers and some negotation over the extra shipping, try this for instance.
There was also a thread about building your own. I also have a pair of these homebuilts. They are lighter and pretty much just as good. The tricky parts are: finding good pieces of plastic (or maybe strong wood) that can be the riser and screw-in plates for the bales; finding stray Stubai-style lever-down bales for the back. Any crappy cut-down nonshaped ski can be the basis, although works best if they have round or squared off tips.
author=telemack link=topic=17262.msg72704#msg72704 date=1280814950">
Hey, I think you used the "secret" Sunrise Stash!   8)  It's right below the corner from Frozen Lake by the return trail junction, correct?  We used that 2 months last year---woo hoo

Mack: this patch here. Isn't it a beaut?  :D

Ive been using the 'up-graded' Salomon snowblades.  These skis, originally made in the 50's (where-else) the Alps, were called 'firn-gliders'.  This past spring, a guy regularly comes from Utah to Mammoth ski area for the corn season. One day he had his Bigfoots with bright colored stretch-wear. I've seen him on 120's, as well. Those looked real sweet. As long as it's soft, the shorties work just fine. The steepest I've skied on the blades is a tad steeper than 40 degrees (down here on Mt Lassen). This season, I skied the slope directly above Lassen's parking area - this was a dream w/ 35 - 40 degrees.  I counted 50 turns, that was a 45 min. hike. Keep on bladin'  oh yaa, on the net, they're called skiboards.

Reply to this TR

august-1-2010-sunrise-little-patches-little-skis
wolfs
2010-08-02 21:32:18