Home > Trip Reports > July 3, 2004, Mt Rainier, Interglacier

July 3, 2004, Mt Rainier, Interglacier

7/3/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Jeff Huber on 7/4/04 4:52am
I met up again with my friend Jonathan from Boston, Mass., and Silas from this website to ski the Interglacier on Mt Rainier. Jonathan was in the area for an economics conference in Vancouver, BC. Silas wished to get a late start so we met up with him on the descent.

The highlights of this trip started immediately. On the trail to Glacier Basin we spotted a very young bear who we'll refer to as Boo Boo bear. After getting over the surprise of seeing wildlife I immediately did what any good gaper does and grabbed my camera. Unfortunately Boo Boo bear must have thought we were Ranger Smith as despite our offer of a S'mores Luna bar in-exchange for a photo pose he quickly ran away.

We crossed the Interglacier runoff on a snowbridge slightly lower then where the trail does then skinned all the way to Steamboat prow. From here the views of Little Tahoma, Emmons glacier, Winthrop glacier and Russell Cliffs were spectacular. We descended around 2. The snow all the way was very buttery w/ a few spots softer then optimal. The very top of the Interglacier was heavily undulated by bootpaths and other ski tracks but we quickly found smoother albeit slightly suncupped snow. We skied down a few hundred vft where we met Silas. Silas then descended the rest of the way with us.

As we were hiking back to White River CG we had another highlight as we came across two absolutely terrified hikers. Apparently they had just met Yogi bear on the trail walking towards them. We attempted to comfort the hikers by explaining the bears in this park are completely harmless gapers. Silas then hiked around the corner yelling at the bear. I couldn't hear exactly what he said but I believe it was something to the affect of, "Yo Yogi, unless you want to be our backcountry bitch and carry our packs get off the trail". Unfortunately Yogi obliged to the latter request.

The Emmons/Winthrop from Steamboat Prow:

More photos and virtually identical text can be seen here, as well as on TTips in a few moments (I'm posting a TR on 3 boards--how can you get more Gaperish then that! :-))

Gaper Jeffey

PS: Swanky/Jame did you show up? Apologies if we missed you. We did see a snowboarder descending as we were skinning up, was that you?
Yup, that was me. I must have just missed y'all. I spent the night at glacier basin and waited til about 8am before my restless legs could sit no more.

My first time on the Interglacier, and what a spectacular day. I'll definitely be back, though the snow this year may be getting cupped out. Lots of little gremlin rocks hiding in the snow too.

Still have yet to meet some fellow TAYders, so for now I'll remain an ultimate Gaper. Cheers y'all.

James

What a great outing, as well as an honor to be with Silas to cinch month #81 (or whatever he's up to now)!

Additional pics from me are available at:
jshefftz.photosite.com/2004interglacier

Reply to this TR

july-3-2004-mt-rainier-interglacier
Jeff Huber
2004-07-04 11:52:20