Home > Trip Reports > July 25-28, 2010, Glacier Peak

July 25-28, 2010, Glacier Peak

7/25/10
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by telemack on 7/29/10 1:37am
Sorry about the delayed TR, but here it comes.  My nephew may help me get photos up, we'll see.

I tagged on to a climbers' trip with friends from the Peninsula Wilderness Club, because it was the simplest way to get in to Glacier.  4 days, 34 miiles round trip with about 12,000' elevation total.  Trevor (TBill) is a mountain monster to have done it solo in 2 days, and his photos and psych. were very useful before and during the tour.  It was about 3 weeks past prime snow, and the weight, extra transitions, and more length/vert. meant the other 4 in our group waited for me a lot on the trails. 
      The first night was at White Pass, then I got first turns down to the White Chuck Glacier.  Monster runnels and sun cups across the southern White Chuck, then some extra climbing to Glacier Gap.  After some rehydration I went for 2 short runs on the rib of Point 7829 above the Gap.  The Suiattle Glacier and points S of Glacier Gap had miles of slopes begging to be skied, as Amar said on his site; I bet not many people have the time to get on there but it's gorgeous.
     On Tuesday the 27th I left camp before everyone else (I know! I can actually do that if I have to!  Don't tell my other ski pals!   ::)) and made great time up the Gerdine.  The anti-ice plate on my Targa T9 tele binding went flying off when I first put on skis because the retention-screw hole was blown out.  They were usable but only my boot held the plate in place, so I got extra fiddling along with everything else.   It would have been a LONG 2nd half of the trip with only one turnable ski---Whew!
     The schrund just below 9000' was a casual skin---contrast to my booting friends who stuck a leg in crevasses in 2 spots on the way down.  I passed and leapfrogged with Kevin P and Julie (TAY lurkers are everywhere) until just below the final chute, then they surged ahead to the top.  My friends arrived an hour after I summited.  800' feet of firm sweetness returned me to the back side of Disappointment Peak, and I did the 250' climb and found a sluffy entrance to the SE face of Disappointment.  Amazing steep turns on hissers right above the Gerdine (fell and slid a bit) were an extra bonus.  By this time I was well ahead of the 4 dots who were the rest of muy group, so I skinned Point 7739 from the saddle above Glaicier Gap and ran a narrow gull remnant back to the Gap.  Just as I finished I saw the only other skiers on snow of the trip.  Sounds like that was Mike Traslin and friend---you guys looked like you were moving well, congrats and thanks for the shout-out on your reply.  Where did you camp?  And White Peak looked fine, icing on the Glacier-cake! 
      We headed back out to White Pass the 27th, which made for the longest day but lessened the agony of the N Fork Sauk trail (good trail but long as hell!).  With that added I got about 5000' of turns, with another 1000' the 26th.  We spent the whole ride out to Granite Falls raving about how much we would eat, then nodding off, followed by more food fantasies. 
     Pretty amazing trip, and the end of a little comeback for me after a bad thumb sprain.  I'll be wearing a brace for pole use for about another 9 months, if I'm lucky.  Some observations on being the lone skier in a climbing party:  I could move faster when skinning and turning, but I was separated from the rest for most of the traveling.  I slowed them down on the approach and return due to my extra change-ups and "pig"-wrestling, (though I waited for them at other stages and got extra laps) and I don't think they really grasped how out-of-this-world skiing far back up in the alpine can be, enough to make all the suffering and frustrations so, SO worth it.   ;D 
     I tried to recruit other TAYers for the voyage, but no luck.  On the 25th we ran into a horsepacking group that had four pairs of skis, but the wrangler lady said nobody broke out their boards.  Bet they would have taken a ride or 2 if they had humped them in without Trigger and Mr. Ed....I'm glad I lugged the boards in 'cuz I ain't going back for another sufferfest any time soon! 

I solo-skied on Glacier Peak
My climber friends thought me a freak
I pointed 'em down
But instead of renown
I heard, "Seems like we've waited a week!"
Sounds like conditions held up for you.  Nice!

Triumph on all five pumice piles
Up and down the volcanoes he styles
First it’s ski pons a gripping
Then skins off and ripping
Hours of grunts, and then minutes of smiles

you guys crack me up .. nice poems .. i was wondering where the gp trs were .. were there many people up there?

Way to go Mack!!

Great to hear you made it up there Mack!

mac, you're rippin it up this summer!
but it sure would be a bummer
if we wouldnt believe
your story without
a glacier peak picture of your fun,
                                                          errrr... 8)

All right, a TAY poetry slam!  Well done, everybody.

author=kath link=topic=17236.msg72591#msg72591 date=1280426698]
you guys crack me up .. nice poems .. i was wondering where the gp trs were .. were there many people up there?

I'll post more after I recover.  What have I started with these corny limericks?!

author=blitz link=topic=17236.msg72595#msg72595 date=1280434155]

I'll second that Mack, but I won't even try to make a lyric out of it.  ;) You have made some great trips, congratulations.

author=kath link=topic=17236.msg72591#msg72591 date=1280426698]

Hey kath, if you enjoyed that one, here's a link to one of Mack's earlier efforts.
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=13008.0
A most talented poet and backcountry adventurer!

Gary

Good one!

Was up there from the 26-28, skied from the summit on 27. Skied disappointment,  then on the last day skied White mountain.

What a beautiful area ,man is it a long walk with skis,but well worth it....

I saw one skier as I was climbing the gap towards the summit,maybe it was you.

Good one!

Mac must be recovered by now and no pictures.

prolly out on someother hootenanny instead of posting up pictures.

author=blitz link=topic=17236.msg72595#msg72595 date=1280434155]
but it sure would be a bummer
if we wouldnt believe
your story without
a glacier peak picture of your fun,
                                                           errrr... 8)

Hey blitz, is this what you were shooting for?

Mack says he's rippin' this summer
But no photos?  Worse than a bummer!
With no proof for our eyes
It could be all lies
If we buy it then we're all the dumber.   ???

a couple weeks out of date (July 17/18), but if folks are interested in pics of skiing the Gerdine/Cool route on Glacier -
http://picasaweb.google.com/petealderson/GlacierPeak#

I'm definitely going back again next season, but plan to go earlier and stay longer.  My two days that late only gave me a taste of Glacier Peak.  Beautiful area that deserves more like a week with the skis.

I would love to participate in this discussion but for the life of me I can't seem to find a good rhyme with "doggerel." (If I used emoticons a smiley face would be here.)

Now Mack, if you're done taking your skis for a walk, let's go climbing!

OK, I would like some details! 34 miles round trip is way too far to carry your boots but way too far to wear them as well. Which was it and what do your feet look like now?
I think the pack animal might be the way to go (not being an animal person though, this is pure conjecture - they don't run on camping fuel and 2 stroke oil do they?).
Did you happen to get a card from the wrangler girl with the 4 sets of boards?

author=freightrainer link=topic=17236.msg72699#msg72699 date=1280811765]
OK, I would like some details! 34 miles round trip is way too far to carry your boots but way too far to wear them as well. Which was it and what do your feet look like now?
I think the pack animal might be the way to go (not being an animal person though, this is pure conjecture - they don't run on camping fuel and 2 stroke oil do they?).
Did you happen to get a card from the wrangler girl with the 4 sets of boards?

No card, but search horse packers or llamas.

Sorry, most of us machochists have the foot/gear memorized.  Here is a typical drill:
-DO NOT wear boots  :'(
-Pack the pack minimally.
-Lash the skis on A-frame, then clip the ski boots in.  (It IS too far to carry....)
-Hike in the lightest trail shoes you can get away with.
-Go with other riders and they will help lift your pack!
-Consider places to stash gear, like a sneaker drop (Eldorado or Emmons), or food and fuel too.
-OR carry the approach shoes (Flett or Glacier). 
This summer I've used duct tape from my poles, moleskin, and band-aids.  I have a moleskin kit I carry.
No real problems; sounds like Kyle M. does lots more damage to his feet. 
It's worth a trouncing to do a big tour.

Mac's telling no lies,
For under clear skies
We 3 reached the top
Before the snow turned to glop
Of the volcano named Glacier

Mac carved up the snow,
We plunge-stepped below
Taking in the great scenery-
Lots of snow, not much greenery.
A long walk for sure to climb Glacier.

The trip was a blast,
The hike out wasn't fast.
Though the packs were not light,
We reached the car before night,
Which made the trailhead beers taste even sweeter.

Here's a link to some pics, including Mac and his skis.  Even though Julia and I weren't TAYing this trip, we were impressed with those hardmen and women carrying skis and boots. 

http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz321/JuliaandKevin/Glacier%20Peak%20Climb%20July%2025-27%202010/

Kevin, thanks for the photos and the great literature you composed to go with them. 
I'm just glad that I could ski Glacier instead of walking DOWN it.  :)

Reply to this TR

july-25-28-2010-glacier-peak
telemack
2010-07-29 08:37:21