Home > Trip Reports > July 23 and 25, 2010, Table Mtn, Steep Sun Bowls

July 23 and 25, 2010, Table Mtn, Steep Sun Bowls

7/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by The Snow Troopers on 7/28/10 12:32pm
Camping on the Mighty Nooksack River just past Glacier, WA and skiing some of the surrounding zones. Wanting to take it easy on a couple of days enjoying both the river and the snow, we found our selves up at the Mt. Baker ski area for some €œskins on€ at the parking lot of the US Forest Service visitor center and made our way for Table Mountain.

Coverage was great for late July but the sun cups or should I say sun BOWLs were quite large on the super steep skiers€™ left Blueberry chutes. Still had last weeks sun cups from Chinook in my mind, which were very soft and could rip down the mountain slicing right through them w/ no problem(not the case here though). First lap skied the shot just to the lookers€™ right of the final pitch of the summer Table Mtn. trail. Did a hip check on my third turn which took me by total suprise and put my confidence in check for the far skiers€™ left chute. The chute had a nice 8′ or so moat 1/3 of the way down which would gobble you up w/ a fall anywhere above that point, so always wanting to €œLive to Ski Another Day€ I practiced my survival ski skills the entire way down!

It was nice to have the snow so close to the car but it is time to head much higher now. Any one wanting some steep sun cup car serve skiing? If so, Artist Point opens this upcoming weekend 7/31/10 (if not sooner per the ranger at parking lot this past Sat.).

Here is a link to some pics -
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12299&id=100001015888022
Forgot to mention... There was a guy we passed on the hwy leaving Baker (which I labeled in our pics as the "Bad Ass Cascade Ski Machine" hauling his skis & gear behind his road bicycle on a trailer. Shot the breeze just for 10 seconds as we passed but didn't get his (your) name. Nice to meet you!

Reply to this TR

july-23-and-25-2010-table-mtn-steep-sun-bowls
The Snow Troopers
2010-07-28 19:32:56