Home > Trip Reports > July 24 and 25, Eldorado Peak

July 24 and 25, Eldorado Peak

7/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by b fury on 7/26/10 2:40pm
I had a late start up to high camp leaving the car at 6 PM on Saturday. If I had known that the trail up to Eldorado would be so much work with skis and boots on my pack I probably would have probably left earlier. Hindsight... Luckily I made it through the steep dirt and talus making it to camp by 9 just as the sun was going down.

I slept in the next day leaving camp for the summit at 9. I began skinning prior to having to down climb to the glacier. If I had to do it again I would of probably booted it until the dropping down onto Glacier at this time of year. I passed many friendly climbers along the way making decent time. There were two cracks to cross which were very little hazard to us skier folk (Not to big of a deal for climbers either), high on the South Ridge/Inspiration Glacier. I dropped my skis and pack at about 8500 feet to continue up the well booted ridge to the summit. My thanks to the climbers for putting in such a nice boot track! Tagged the summit at 12:45 and plunge stepped down to my skis and after a quick bite to eat I was enjoying great late July snow.

I was back at the climb up and out in very little time. Most of that time was spent skating back up from the Inspiration to the Eldorado glacier. The snow on the Eldorado Glacier was okay, loosely translated meant that the snow higher up was better but I still enjoyed the turns down the lower sections. It is late July though. Other than loosing an easily fixable rivet on my megarides it was a great solo trip. The views from the top were unbeatable. An effort most worthwhile for those who have the motivation. See the attached link for photos.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=232729&id=685673209&l=9e3e4d5480 
Nice shots.  Where was the serac?

No Serac just a cornice on the narrower section of the upper ridge. Just not paying to much attention when writing the caption. Thanks for catching this.

Reply to this TR

july-24-and-25-eldorado-peak
b fury
2010-07-26 21:40:42