Home > Trip Reports > Squak Glacier, 7/26

Squak Glacier, 7/26

7/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by teledavid on 7/26/10 2:15pm
Encouraged by Amar and Kenji's reports about the corn snow on Baker I lit out of town early this morning to the TH for the south side of Baker.  I'm hiking up the trail enjoying the beginnings of the day when I suddenly realize I forgot my skins at home!  (Can I blame my kids for distracting me while I packed the night before?  Probably not, it's my own dumb move.)  Anyway, no problem, I like to figure out a good lash-up job.  First, I thought I had no rope, so I duct taped hemlock boughs to my bases.  That only worked for a few hundred yards.  Then I remembered that I do have rope so I lashed it on my bases and that worked ok.  I was slipping a lot so I eventually went back to just carrying the dang things.

I took the Scott Paul trail to the Squak glacier and skinned/boot packed up to about 9000', just past the crevasse Amar showed in his report.  (Love the detailed reports Amar!)  Skied down from there and had a sweet corn harvest!  Started skiing about 2pm and the conditions were excellent.  Beautiful day in the mountains.

Sorry no pics, I can't get the stupid things off the camera.  (I blame the kids.)
:)
Amar got me back up there too the day before you. What a year!.

Reply to this TR

squak-glacier-7-26
teledavid
2010-07-26 21:15:30