Home > Trip Reports > July 25, 2010, Mt. Hood, Snowdome/Sunshine Fail

July 25, 2010, Mt. Hood, Snowdome/Sunshine Fail

7/25/10
OR Mt Hood
Posted by skier8484 on 7/26/10 4:29am
I was in town visiting my folks, and decided it would be fun to take my brother out for a summer ski tour on Hood.  His room mate and Buell from Eugene also joined forces for an attempt on the Sunshine Route, with Snow Dome being the consolation if the weather was too warm to summit (likely given the forecast). 

We left Cloud Cap around 5:00 AM and were on top of Snow Dome around 8:30.  Buell and I briefly ventured above the first bergshrund, but were quickly turned around by the rapidly softening mush that dominated the route above. 

Turns down the dome were great, albeit a dirty, bumpy section towards the top for ~200-300'. 

All in all a great day.  The hike to snow is pretty short (probably less than 1.5 miles), and crevasse danger is minimal to the top of Snow Dome - plus the warm weather kept my skiing-in-flowered-shorts streak alive ;)
Did you cross Elliot Creek or on the lower Elliot Glacier? How was the crossing?

author=OldHouseMan link=topic=17221.msg72531#msg72531 date=1280174562]
Did you cross Elliot Creek or on the lower Elliot Glacier? How was the crossing?

Go up the moraine to the East of the creek (seen in the first photo) until you hit a large cairn.  Descend from there to the base of the glacier and ascend one of three snow gullies to the flat section on the Elliot.  From there it's pretty straight forward.

author=skier8484 link=topic=17221.msg72530#msg72530 date=1280172590]

All in all a great day.  The hike to snow is pretty short (probably less than 1.5 miles), and crevasse danger is minimal to the top of Snow Dome - plus the warm weather kept my skiing-in-flowered-shorts streak alive ;)

Sounds like a good day Brian, seems like this season just doesn't want to end.  :D  Before we know it, winter will be here again.

You would be proud of me. Although not quite as boldly as you, I finally followed your lead. There is much to be said for skiing is shorts and a t-shirt.  :D

Gary

Great looking day!

Glad to see you guys hooked up with Buell. Good guy, and I figured you might travel well together.

It was a great climb even if we could not make the summit.  That mush layer is deep and scary, especially right over a gaping shrund. 

Brian is great to climb with.  Pure stoke on the mountain. 

Thanks for the contact ale!

Looks like fun - snow is still holding up well on the dome.  Heading into Bear Cr. on Diamond on Saturday afternoon for some Sunday riding if you're interested Buell.

Nice Matt, hope you get some decent riding.  I'll be on Baker Saturday and Sunday.

Reply to this TR

july-25-2010-mt-hood-snowdome-sunshine-fail
skier8484
2010-07-26 11:29:50