Home > Trip Reports > July 24, 2010, Chinook Pass afternoon quickie

July 24, 2010, Chinook Pass afternoon quickie

7/24/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by trees4me on 7/26/10 4:25am
Mostly a mt bike day.  We rode Ranger-Palisades-SunTop down near the Buck Cr Airstrip on hwy 410.

I had hoped I'd have enough legs to go grab a run at Chinook after biking.  So I left the truck at the pass about 5pm and started booting.  Did a couple 400' laps and booted back up, before the final 200' down to the pass.  The snow was surprisingly firm and the trees were patchy at best.  The second run I went a little farther south and really had to fight through the trees to link the main snowfields, but that's the fun part anyway  ;)

I've never skied in bike shorts before...  new fad?

SunTop

Chinook 2nd run.  Skied all the way to the end of the main patch at bottom.

About 200-ft above the pass, still some late afternoon sun.

More pics
I need a mtn bike....NOW. Sweet day.

author=trees4me link=topic=17220.msg72529#msg72529 date=1280172323">
Mostly a mt bike day.  We rode Ranger-Palisades-SunTop down near the Buck Cr Airstrip on hwy 410.

I had hoped I'd have enough legs to go grab a run at Chinook after biking.  So I left the truck at the pass about 5pm and started booting.  Did a couple 400' laps and booted back up, before the final 200' down to the pass.  The snow was surprisingly firm and the trees were patchy at best.  The second run I went a little farther south and really had to fight through the trees to link the main snowfields, but that's the fun part anyway  ;)

I've never skied in bike shorts before...  new fad?

SunTop

Chinook 2nd run.  Skied all the way to the end of the main patch at bottom.

About 200-ft above the pass, still some late afternoon sun.

more pics

Nice line. Is this the Northeast face of Naches Peak? If so, what line is best to boot up? I've been wanting to get to this one for some years now.

yaa, bike shorts - kinda dorkie;  better than pants

I hate wearing pants, but I observe local laws at all times.

Nice TR. I like the combination of vivid green and vivid white in your photos.

Reply to this TR

july-24-2010-chinook-pass-afternoon-quickie
trees4me
2010-07-26 11:25:23