Home > Trip Reports > July 24, 2010, Coleman Pinnacle

July 24, 2010, Coleman Pinnacle

7/24/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by md2020 on 7/26/10 2:09am
Brenda and I dragged our friend Frank up to Mt Baker area for a great day out at the Coleman Pinnacle. There is so much snow. Granted we've only been visiting the area for the last 5 season or so, I've never seen it like this so late in the year. Skis on pretty much from the car, then across the basin and up to Hermans Saddle. There's a nice run down to Iceberg Lake that we like to ski, then a short uphill traverse to ski a short mellow gully down to Wells Crk  before the long slog up to the first high pt along Ptarmagin Ridge. Again, so much snow. We made it to the ridge on the far side of the Pinnacle at around 3:30. Man it was warm out there, but the snow was decent. A bit suncupped, but soft enough to not be a problem, and never sticky. The 3 of us were on Karhu Guides, and the return trip to the east end of Table Mtn was completed with a single boot up - Frank managed it with a short uncomfortable traverse, no problem. I consider this tour ideal for these skis. A continuous snow finger remains at the end of Table Mtn, making for an easy boot up to the trail. Mostly skiing with a bit of road walking from Artist Pt had us at the car just after 6:00. I think there's a single blueberry chute that's still continuous that would have saved some time, but we passed. Anyway, there's so much snow.

http://picasaweb.google.com/112125605918782363443/100724ColemanPinnacle72410#

How far up the road could you drive?  Ski area, visitors center, Austin Pass, Artist Point, or....?
Thanks for the report, yes it is the most snow this time of year in at least a decade.

the gate is still locked at the lot above the visitors center. We parked at the visitors center. The road is clear past the last switchback before the lot at Artist Pt. It's quite a mess in that lot though. I doubt it'll be clear of snow any time soon.

Reply to this TR

july-24-2010-coleman-pinnacle
md2020
2010-07-26 09:09:40