Home > Trip Reports > July 25, 2010, Elk Mountain ONP

July 25, 2010, Elk Mountain ONP

7/25/10
WA Olympics
Posted by ovrthhills on 7/26/10 1:21am
End of July, 1 mile hike, 1500 vert, and good snow. Whats not to like?

Sidnie and I first skied the big western chute of Elk mountain in 2007 when it involved an overnight and a six mile hike.  This year, much to our delight, and thanks to the weird late, ample snowpack, with the Obstruction Pt. Road opened to the end there is still plenty of snow on the north aspects of Elk mountain. 

We entered the park at 8:30 AM and 40 minutes later were at the Obstruction Pt parking lot.  After loading our skis onto packs to the incredulous looks of some day hikers, we made the easy hike on the summer trail to a notch just above the trail near the summit of Elk mountain.  There we prepared for our descent and were unexpectedly joined by our friend and  fellow TAYer Gary, a local who had skipped out of yard work for an irresistible quick lap.  We dropped in and enjoyed fast turns down the 40 degree face for 600 ft and out to a bench, requiring a 50 ft carry and then down to the meadow 1500 ft below. Booted back up for a lunch break at the bench before the final 600 ft of steep booting found us back at the top where Gary left for his chores and we pondered another run. After a short nap, we decided to hike about a quarter mile out the smooth west shoulder of Elk mountain and try a line I had looked at all day.  This line was a 1000 ft face with a sustained 35 to 40 degree pitch, ending in the same meadow as the first run. The softend snow skied beautifully and we followed our previous boot track back to the top and a quick hike back to the car by 3:30.  2700 ft. of fine summer skiing.

Elk mountain from Sequim

Thanks for the report.
We're headed there tomorrow!

It was great to meet up with you guys, I thoroughly enjoyed skiing together.
What a rare treat to have the road open all the way to the end and still find good snow conditions in the chutes.  ;D

Sounds like you guys made a good choice for round two, wish my sense of responsibility hadn't been quite so strong.  ;)

An added treat to the day was seeing a Black Bear sow with her cub in a field of wild flowers above the Hurricane Ridge road. The only let down was discovering that my camera battery was dead at this crucial moment.  :( I did enjoy watching them for a while before continuing on my way. This also precluded me from capturing some of the great turns you two were making.

I talked to another local skier today. He and a friend skied two of the central chutes of Elk on Saturday. They found similar conditions to what we enjoyed in each of these lines. Perhaps the party isn't quite over yet.

Gary

Reply to this TR

july-25-2010-elk-mountain-onp
ovrthhills
2010-07-26 08:21:52