Home > Trip Reports > Tahtlum (Peak 6567), Chinook Pass, July 25, 2010

Tahtlum (Peak 6567), Chinook Pass, July 25, 2010

7/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Keith_Henson on 7/26/10 12:38am
I probably should have gone to Paradise. But I decided to head to Chinook and take the skis for a long walk up  Tahtlum Peak (aka Peak 6567, Zaps' Mountain) to bag a summit and ski north facing snow.

After 2 hours of hiking on the largely melted out PCT I reached the summit and marveled at the views. Then down to ski. Looked at my watch. Skied to the bottom. Looked at my watch: less than one minute to ski the steep slope.

On the way back I saw some skiers making kickers on the slope south of Naches. They said a couple of skiers had headed up to the ridge so I thought I would run up and join them for a nice, but short run down. They were fellow TAY posters. Hopefully they will add some pics.

And almost back to the car I ran into one of my Crystal ski buddies, Dick Hook who was out test driving his new demo AT gear that he bought at the Backpacker's Supply going out of business sale.

A great day to Cascades to cap off my 73 days of skiing this season. And now (musical allusion time) I find myself "praying for the snow to hide the clover..." and waiting for that gracious host, old man winter. (It's summer, not spring, that "hangs me up the  most.")
author=Keith_Henson link=topic=17217.msg72521#msg72521 date=1280158710]
I probably should have gone to Paradise. But I decided to head to Chinook and take the skis for a long walk up  Tahtlum Peak (aka Peak 6567, Zaps' Mountain) to bag a summit and ski north facing snow.

After 2 hours of hiking on the largely melted out PCT I reached the summit and marveled at the views. Then down to ski. Looked at my watch. Skied to the bottom. Looked at my watch: less than one minute to ski the steep slope.

(It's summer, not spring, that "hangs me up the  most.")

Great destination - looooooooooooong walk on dirt.  See you at Crystal, hopefully sooner rather than later.   ;)

And now (musical allusion time) I find myself "praying for the snow to hide the clover..." and waiting for that gracious host, old man winter. (It's summer, not spring, that "hangs me up the  most.")

Length of Day: 15h 12m. Tomorrow will be 2m 28s shorter.

On the way back I saw some skiers making kickers on the slope south of Naches. They said a couple of skiers had headed up to the ridge so I thought I would run up and join them for a nice, but short run down. They were fellow TAY posters. Hopefully they will add some pics.

Keith - great to meet you yesterday. It was fun watching you 'run' from the bowl all the way to the ridge - you're an animal! It was a pretty good day, considering the upper traverse will probably be melted out by next weekend. By the way, thanks for the heads up on some of the other routes in the area.

Kelly (and Steve)

It was really nice meeting you guys. Here's a photo. Hope to run into you again.

One more photo - looking up to the ridge from the east bowl.

Here are some photos of the same spot on July 5th I never posted. 

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=226420&id=685673209&l=122ceba40c

Here are some of mine from my website. Tahtlum pics

Takin' the skis for a hike again, eh? 

Reply to this TR

tahtlum-peak-6567-chinook-pass-july-25-2010
Keith_Henson
2010-07-26 07:38:30