Home > Trip Reports > July 25, 2010, Flett Sunset

July 25, 2010, Flett Sunset

7/25/10
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 7/25/10 6:30pm
A late start saw me leave the lab after 3 pm; too late to get to the Carbon for a backcountry permit for an overnight stay, so a sunset descent was requisite. On the trail by 5:30 -- met a backcountry ranger patrol within feet of the campground. They were understandably skeptical of my plan to ski at sunset, presumably concerned that I was trying to sneak in an ill-prepared climb or unpermitted bivy, but thankfully let me go.

Raced the sun to the top of Observation Rock. The sun won, so I dropped into the Flett on the broad finger of snow to looker's left. Snow was acceptable on the face, and a little cupped/runneley below. Got surprisingly far with two carries by staying with the fallline, arriving on a maintained subsidiary trail. The coverage is fading, and probably won't be nearly so extensive next weekend. Watched the mountain from Spray Park until well after moonrise before turning for home.

11 hours house to house. Seattle's too far, but folks that live closer to the mountain might be able to take a shorter day at work and ski over the coming evenings.... Reports from others suggested that the Russell is starting to get cupped and crunchy, but everyone sounded positive otherwise. Skinning is possible along the E side of Ptarmigan Ridge not far after the trail reaches it.

Don't go for the skiing; go for the view (but bring skis ;)). Flowers are out too.
Absolutely stunning sunset! Julie

8)  You must have enjoyed the full moon rising as well.  Nice.

Liz and I ran into you on our way down in Spray Park.  Glad you were able to make a go of it so late in the day, and nice to meet you!

The views are definitely the draw right now.  I always think of it as hiking with a sweet ride down at this time of year.

Reply to this TR

july-25-2010-flett-sunset
Charlie Hagedorn
2010-07-26 01:30:07