Home > Trip Reports > June 18, 2010, Mt Adams, Lava Ridge

June 18, 2010, Mt Adams, Lava Ridge

6/18/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ryanl on 7/21/10 4:52pm
It's been awhile since I put up one of these. ACL surgery on New Years Eve has had me out of commission up until a bout two weeks ago.

On saturday morning my Brother Mike and I left seattle around 8 for the north side of Adams. Never been up Killan creek before so needless to say I was excited.

Set up camp around 1:30 or so and took a nice nap under the sun.

Laying there in that beautiful alpine meadow, soaking up the sun, feeling the breeze, and seeing that incredible north side of the mountain, I felt something I haven't felt in far too long. I was happy to have my brother nearby.

Around 3 we set off to scope out the approach to Lava Ridge.  The snow had corned up nicely without becoming too soft. Travel was quick and very enjoyable. We got to the ridge separating Lava Glacier from the North Cleaver at about 8000'. Lava Glacier headwall was a mess, but Lava Ridge looked enticing.

Mike felt like chilling. I felt like playing some more with my new $25K knee. We dropped some elevation in the direction of camp before parting ways. There's a face resembling the shape of South America on the west side of the north cleaver that had caught my attention earlier.  The snow was in perfect shape and I managed to skin to about 10,100 before the choss of the North Cleaver took over.  I savored the moment a bit before linking 3000+ feet of turns to camp without stopping.

The next morning we decided that Lava Ridge was our best bet for good conditions, as it gets sun right off the bat. We chose to climb the route mainly because i didn't want to putz around on the top of Adams trying to figure out where to drop in. Plus, Lava Ridge looked to be a fun climb as well as ski.

Everything went smooth and we topped out around 1. Lounged a bit, and then headed down. The summit plateau was bulletproof, and it was pretty hard, slightly suncupped and heavily textured between 11k and 10k. After that is was butter.

Super cool Ryan. I'm glad you were finally able to get out there. Pretty awesome place for skiing that's for sure.

The diamond on the west face (or africa or s america...It looks like em all), is a fun ski as well.

Glad to learn that you are back in the game.  I always look forward to your TR's.

Very strong work coming off a long recovery.  I don't typically ski 3K' without stopping on my best days.  Keep it up.

Good on ya Lurie and welcome back to the world of skiers.

Mike

nice looking turns!

Congrats on a successful trip on a successfully rehabed knee. 

Reply to this TR

june-18-2010-mt-adams-lava-ridge
ryanl
2010-07-21 23:52:06