Home > Trip Reports > July 17, 2010, Russell Glacier

July 17, 2010, Russell Glacier

7/17/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ~Link~ on 7/18/10 4:29pm
Met up with fellow TAYers Jason and Eric (SnoSlut) for a last minute endurance education, a visit to the Russell Glacier.  Awoke early to sneak up on the dawn, 3:54am alarm call to get an early head start on the day.     The car was already packed full of possible gear needs from the night earlier in neurotic anticipation of the day ahead.  Early morning fumbling around, trying to gather a hold of the morning consciousness, and I was off.  I was certainly glad to have packed the car the night before, and elated to have a clear mind free of hangover nurtured by five hours of sober sleep; nervous energy prevails to fulfill it's intention.

Hit the Mowich Trail head at around 7:45am and began the march to Spray Park feeling absolutely psyched on the day ahead.  We made our way up the trail, stopping off at Eagles Roost to pay homage to the glorious views before stomping forward.  Paused for an extended lunch break around 4,500 ft. just before the snow-line where upon we were met by a few familiar faces, shared some laughs and grins, and off again. 

I'll leave the science for Amar, but I will reiterate that the temps were perfect.  Suncups and cooler temps meant for a day devoted to building character, leg, and back strength on the ascend up mostly by way of boot.  We pushed on.

We climbed to 8,500 ft. by 3:30pm where we decided to call it.  Stunning views abound, we took our time to soak it up.

We descended down to about 5,500 ft before climbing back up to Echo Rock to begin the daunting trek back to civilization.  Excellent corn turns all the way down a seemingly endless run down the side of a glacier makes me wonder how I didn't get into doing this kind of insane stuff much earlier.

All in all a great time covering nearly 20 miles, from dawn to dusk. 
Brian,

Glad to see that your "sore foot" was able to carry you for the 20 mile adventure.

So where's the photo of you or Eric or Jason trenching big GS turns in soft corn snow while ripping down the glacier ?  ;)

author=Zap link=topic=17190.msg72357#msg72357 date=1279553892]
Brian,

Glad to see that your "sore foot" was able to carry you for the 20 mile adventure.

So where's the photo of you or Eric or Jason trenching big GS turns in soft corn snow while ripping down the glacier ?  ;)

I've yet to book the Hummel Bros for a tour  ::), although we did run into their father, amongst a few others, upon our lunch break in Spray Park.  I'm horrible with names but I do remember Steve from a Tatoosh trip some weeks back, good to see you guys.

Yeah, the foot pain was unbearable, but that's the price you pay to play.  Builds character.  :)

Heya Brian- Great day on the Russell indeed!  Possibly the best corn I've skied this year!  I think we saw you on our descent (were you in the group of 3 snowboarders heading down just after 4pm?).  The Flett Headwall was in good shape too (more sun-cupped than the Russell, but soft enough to hold an edge well). 

http://picasaweb.google.com/chriscass1/MountRainierRussellFlettGlaciersSkiOutingJuly172010?authkey=Gv1sRgCMm6rqLE-8W4jwE#

Nice work Brian. Welcome to summer time snow sports.

author=~Link~ link=topic=17190.msg72358#msg72358 date=1279560882]
I've yet to book the Hummel Bros for a tour   ::), although we did run into their father, amongst a few others, upon our lunch break in Spray Park. 

You run into these Hummels everywhere we came across Hummel Dad (Kurt) and son Josh at Capitol Forest last week, thanks for the invite looked like a good tour.

Cass-
Nice pictures of Mike on the waxless Guide skis.
How did they work out for the tour?
Nice XC across the rock section, keeping the scales true.

I went to Mowich solo on Sat and was able to hook up with Cass. Thanks for the pics Cass, and the company. Such great snow.  I had to pass on the Flett headwall, but Cass claims it skied pretty well. Here's a few of my pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/112125605918782363443/100717RusselGlacier71710#

I mostly used skins on this tour so didn't get much use of the waxless base. They're a bit of a compromise on the down, but no problems on this kind of hero corn. I really appreciate them along with my T3s for the 3 mile carry each way, as they're pretty light.

Brenda didn't want to do the slog in there, eh?
Smart girl :)

author=cascadesfreak link=topic=17190.msg72365#msg72365 date=1279570385]
Heya Brian- Great day on the Russell indeed!  Possibly the best corn I've skied this year!  I think we saw you on our descent (were you in the group of 3 snowboarders heading down just after 4pm?). 

Yup, that was us.  Great day!

Reply to this TR

july-17-2010-russell-glacier
~Link~
2010-07-18 23:29:45