Home > Trip Reports > Vesper Pk July17, '10

Vesper Pk July17, '10

7/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by alpenho on 7/18/10 6:58am
This has become somewhat of an annual July pilgrimage for me, and it's always delivered beautifully.  Below Headlee Pass it was basically dry - in contrast to this time last year there was not a massive avy remnant filling in the floor of Wirtz Basin.  However once in the upper basin, the snowpack was essentially identical to last July:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ljt2alpental#p/u/4/367vBwBncZY

Lately some of my backcountry ski forays have taken on a sort of "traveling circus" atmosphere, in which incredulous onlookers at the trailheads stare in disbelief as I take off with skis on my pack, with my wife - sans skis - and our two french bulldogs in tow.  Nonetheless we all made it to the summit and I got a great descent, the wide open field at  the top followed by a selection of steeper chutes that drop to the lake.  It got quite cuppy toward the bottom, but the snow consistency was great and bumpyness was basically un-noticeable for most of the ride.  Still an uninterrupted run from about 30' below summit to the lake outlet - the top snow patch connects to the main field by a barely-bridged glide crack.  This little spicy hop will be non-negotiable soon, but the rest of the way is still quite fat. 
First photo shows descent path in blue, dashed green line indicates potential alternate chutes to the lake. 
Second photo shows my climbing companions at the summit - I would venture to propose this is a French Bulldog FA.
Third photo - lovin' the turns.
author=alpenho link=topic=17186.msg72346#msg72346 date=1279490311]
Second photo shows my climbing companions at the summit - I would venture to propose this is a French Bulldog FA.

You should get them sponsored !  Front page of Outside-Doggy magazine.

that would be cool - if for nothing else the comic value.
People in the mountains usually laugh when they see this:

the corn goodness,  its actually past corn,  summer goodness

Reply to this TR

vesper-pk-july17-10
alpenho
2010-07-18 13:58:31