Home > Trip Reports > July 17, 2010, Muir snowfield and Nisqually Chute

July 17, 2010, Muir snowfield and Nisqually Chute

7/17/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by GregSimon on 7/17/10 11:46am
Still able to skin from the old visitor center parking lot.  Just a short carry at the top of Panorama Point.  We stayed right skinning up and avoided the Pebble Creek humps - just a few short carries over rock bands.

Surface conditions on the snowfield were very nice - just about 2 inches of corn.  We didn't head down the Chute til 2, but it skied very well.  Nice and smooth with only a little sluffing.

Chute entrance is still very wide and coverage is excellent all the way down.  I'll try to post some pics later.
July not June i hope :)

Sounds like the same conditions we had last week though! Glad to hear the snow is holding up fairly well

Oops.  Was July.  Fixed it

Last night returning from Little Tahoma Chris and I skied from 9000' on the Cowlitz to the parking lot (almost); short carry around Pan point. Snow was icy higher up at 9pm but nicely skiable. N

Couple of pics (courtesy of Dave Menz)

YEaaah, pontoons in July. I like your style.

One of these days I want to try using them on snow in the morning and water in the afternoon.  Maybe if we stopped off at Alder lake on the way back from Rainier, I could get someone to give me a tow.

big fat pow boards (& shorts) !!

you should send the chute pic into Backcountry

Reply to this TR

july-17-2010-muir-snowfield-and-nisqually-chute
GregSimon
2010-07-17 18:46:24