Home > Trip Reports > July 14, 2010, Burroughs

July 14, 2010, Burroughs

7/14/10
Posted by md2020 on 7/15/10 4:15am
Took a day off from work to ski with some of our retired friends. What is it with retired people that all of a sudden they're never available on weekends? We found continuous snow from near the top of the far end of 2nd burroughs. After a long break at 3rd burroughs, we skied down into the northeast basin, just missing the money shot, as it is quite melted out at the top. One short carry across the basin and a boot up to 2nd/3rd saddle, then a nice steepish run down into Berkely Park, then continous snow up to Frozen Lake.

How was the coverage in the chutes off the back of Sourdough Ridge?

Good tour eh ?
On sunday we had snow on that northeast entry off 3rd into granite creek. Looks like its a skip carry now. The slope that you climbed up to second burroughs would be a nice easy ski as well in reverse.
By the way I'm putting you two on my future retired mid week list now that I know you will skip work!

Some buds and I skied this tour both Sunday and today (thanks for the tip regarding the "money shot". Robie). What a difference in the snowpack. On Sunday we were able to keep skins on from just above Frozen lake all the way out to 3rd Burroughs. Today the snow ridge/sort of cornice between 1st and 2nd is discontinuous, there is a now snowfree rock band just past 2nd Burroughs, climbing to 3rd requires careful navigation to stay on snow, and the final curving slot up to the summit of 3rd is rapidly melting out. The "money slot" is now a rock band about 10 feet wide.

Nevertheless, reasonable but by 2 pm mushy snow elsewhere, fabulous views. Very hot, almost no wind.

We checked out the Sourdough slots from Antler peak toward Frozen lake. Many had snow free bands and the others were uninspiring short shots. The run down the left shoulder of Dege is still continuous but the ascent up the right shoulder has a snowfree gap.

- some epic photos, especially the last one !

Reply to this TR

july-14-2010-burroughs
md2020
2010-07-15 11:15:43