Home > Trip Reports > July 11, 2010, Knapsack Pass, Flett and Russell

July 11, 2010, Knapsack Pass, Flett and Russell

7/11/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by PS44 on 7/13/10 4:01am
At the Mowich Lake trailhead two days after the road opened.   Hooked up with a group of skiers in the parking lot who showed me the way around (Sally, Kenji, Rich; thank you so much and sorry I didn'g get all names or if I mangled them).  We crossed the Knapsack Pass but in hindsight I think the summer trail would be better as there was low coverage on the approach from west.  Skinned from the pass to the turnaround point on the Ptarmigan Ridge above Russell glacier, which looked great and smooth, had lunch and dropped down.  Then we climbed back to ski what I call Flett glacier headwall (but I am not sure if correct -- great skiing nonetheless).  Both Ptarmigan ridge and headwall slopes sluffed the top few inches on the way down, sending slow hissers.  Way out was via the summer trail (thanks Julie for finding it!).  Back at the trailhead the park ranger expressed surprise he didn't see more skiers despite a great coverage -- go get it while it lasts folks!  A great day; beautiful scenery and great corn snow.

Pavel
Pavel, good to have you along.  Sally and I opted to continue on the glacier to a high point on the ridge (~9500') and had a good run down.  It seems we missed you all, Flett guys, by half an hour or so.

Perfect to see the photos and TR, since Keith Henson and I are going to Knapsack Pass with family tomorrow. 
Did you folks skin, boot or sneaker to the Pass?

I recommend hiking boots to the pass.  The path is mix of bare, mud, snow and also some brush since we weren't quite on it.  Ski boots would be ok if you don't plan to hike back via the Spray Park trail.  Have fun!

Sneakers are OK -- the trail is mix of dirt, mud, and then some snow as you go higher.  From the pass we skied/skinned.

Pavel,
Thanks for the TR and pix. I'm thinking of heading up there this weekend or next. That Flett headwall is one of my favorite July runs ever; just the right pitch and consistent all the way down. I agree with Kenji that ski boots are a bad idea on the hike out on the Spray Park trail; I just about killed my feet doing it a few years ago.

Pavel-- Daryl, the shy Aussie, and I were the other two. Hope you enjoyed our usual five person group with 3.5 ideas of which lines to ski. Daryl and I did the NE side of Observation while you and Rich did the NW side.

I think Sally kept a leash on Kenji or he would have been heading up Liberty Ridge!

Maybe we will get together sometime when our other Czech female partner (The Lady in Red) joins us.
Happy Turns.

Nick,
thank you again for a fine company; yes the group felt a bit like a bag of fleas  :) -- I suspect it didn't help I crashed in.  I now wish I continued up Russell but had to go home.  Let me know when you go touring with The Lady in Red.

Jeff,
yes, ski boots would kill my feet as well; telemark boots were OK, I guess.  I had sneakers and stashed them.  That headwall was fun indeed; maybe earlier in the day would be even better.
Pavel

Reply to this TR

july-11-2010-knapsack-pass-flett-and-russell
PS44
2010-07-13 11:01:15