Home > Trip Reports > July 8 Kautz Glacier, Rainier

July 8 Kautz Glacier, Rainier

7/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Eric Lindahl on 7/8/10 1:15pm
FYI, I didn't ski this but I talked to a couple who did today and they said it was the best they had seen it.  A little firm but reasonably smooth at the top and then corned up quickly.  Thought I would mention this in case anyone is interested.
Indeed the Kautz is ripe for skiing, we accidentally went up the Turtle the night of the 7th en route to the Finger.  Saw some people (probably the ones you mention) climbing up it while we were in the Finger.  Smooth clean snow, freezing solid at night and warming up mid morning.  Perfect corn farming conditions!

Any idea how technical the ice step is at this point (e.g., did they have to pitch it out/rap on the descent)?

The couple I talked to didn't say anything about being technical.  Even after I said that I'd like to ski it but "wasn't too interested in significant exposure".  Its been 35 years since I climbed the Kautz so with my foggy recollection of those much snowier years I just assumed that they descended the entire thing with out removing skis.  But I really can't be sure.  Any way this report is moot as the temps and weather are changing and the skiing will certainly be different.  Good luck if you go.

Reply to this TR

july-8-kautz-glacier-rainier
Eric Lindahl
2010-07-08 20:15:21