Home > Trip Reports > July 8, Mt. Rainier, Camp Muir

July 8, Mt. Rainier, Camp Muir

7/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Eric Lindahl on 7/8/10 12:56pm
Thought I would post in case you can get away.  The skiing today was quite good and what a great way to get out of the heat.  Skinned from parking lot.  Left lot at 8:00 am, 61 degrees, ~5 mph wind, seemed like perfect hiking weather and it remained that way all the way to Muir as I ascended with the rise in temperature and light breeze.  One of the most pleasant trips I've had up there.  A little more wind right at Muir, maybe only 10 mph but enough to put the jacket on, though I went barefoot to dry out the socks.  Left Muir 1230 for the ski down. 

10,000' ~ 9000' wet but fast & smooth "corn", with 1-2" of penetration if you were light on your feet, quite a surprise as to how smooth and good it was.  Must have gotten some new snow recently to have been so smooth.  I was expecting much worse.  No suncups

~ 9000' to top of Nisqually Chutes the mush came out just a little as I sunk in up to about 3-4" at times.  It was lower angle so I just put the ski on edge and arced big turns to the chute, water ski style.  The snow as a tad slow but very predictable, fun and not too tiring. 

Dropped into the chute, did some check turns into safe spots to assess the slush slides.  Only the top 2" slid for just a short distance and pretty much stopped so I picked a clean spot and had great, predictable skiing all the way down.  It was slushy and just a hint slow, but only a 1-2 inches penetration so with the good slope angle it was very fun.  Easy hike up and out and back at the car by 1:20 pm where it was a very pleasant 73 degrees and that wonderful 5 mph breeze.  I'd expect about the same tomorrow so if you can, I'd say it is worth the trip.  Good luck.
July 9th: better than expected also.  Headed down by 10:45 AM.  Decent at the top, then got worse maybe ~ 8500-9500, but then it improved into sort a "slurpy-lite" which if you stayed light on your feet, was quite skiable.  Even the bottom was not too atrocious. One carry-over on the way up and 3 short carry-overs on the way down, but just barely skiable to the parking lot...that will probably change in the next few days.  North facing Tatoosh still looked decent!

Reply to this TR

july-8-mt-rainier-camp-muir
Eric Lindahl
2010-07-08 19:56:02