Home > Trip Reports > Adams SW Chute Cornacoppia 7.7.10

Adams SW Chute Cornacoppia 7.7.10

7/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Joedabaker on 7/8/10 1:18am
Like the previous report skinning from 1/2 mile from the cars, can drive all the way to Cold Springs with limited parking. Lots of large runnels on the lower slopes below below Crescent Glacier. Lots of snow to tour up the East Flank where we ran into rbnfish, good to see you.
Steady almost annoying lower to mid-level wind on the hike up, but nice to keep us cool on the traverse out. We wondered if the snow was going to let up it's firm surface.
On to the real business....
The Chutes skied so awesome, perfect corn and the company was about as good as it gets.
Stewart and Snow Bell summited Adams while the older crew recovered at Pikers.
The traverse exit at 7500 is really good right now, do not get suckered into the lower exit unless you like a lot of abuse.
Need to bring another virgin to sacrifice if that is the conditions we get to ski!
Great day all thanks for the company.
What a great day.
That was my fourth time down chutes and I think probably the best consistent corn all the way down.
As you, say take higher exit. ;)
Stewart had to deal with my whinning on the bushwack out. It was role reversal with me asking him " Are we there yet... have you found the trail" over and over again. ;D
Thanks for waiting at the TH for the lost boys to return.

Just amazing looking coverage for July this year!

Looks like a fun day out on the mountain too.

That grin on Carol's face says it all.   ;)

It really doesn't get any better than this!  Great meeting you and thanks for introducing us to TAY!  Feeling strong after choosing the 6200' exit strategy :)
-Trish, Jill and JJ

Nice timing.  We'll  have to join the throngs this weekend.  Don't forget to look back and check on your dad every once and awhile, Stewart.  You've got the sharp end now.

author=Scotsman link=topic=17112.msg72018#msg72018 date=1278606584]
As you, say take higher exit. ;)
Stewart had to deal with my whinning on the bushwack out.

It did not appear that way as Stewart sat stoically on the ground mentally reviewing the trip out.

author=tlee link=topic=17112.msg72037#msg72037 date=1278640471]
It really doesn't get any better than this!  Great meeting you and thanks for introducing us to TAY!  Feeling strong after choosing the 6200' exit strategy :)
-Trish, Jill and JJ

Great meeting you ladies.
Sorry that we did not hook up for the exit. We whistled and yelled to your group, but s*** happens.
At least you are getting familiar with all the terrain in the area.  ;)
Hope to see you again!

author=tlee link=topic=17112.msg72037#msg72037 date=1278640471]
It really doesn't get any better than this!  Great meeting you and thanks for introducing us to TAY!  Feeling strong after choosing the 6200' exit strategy :)
-Trish, Jill and JJ

Hi girls, sorry if you followed Stewart and I. We went down when we should have gone up!
It was heinous the way we went. Hopefully you found a better way. Nice to meet you, very strong work.

Nice to meet you up there Scotsman, Stewart and Joe.
My third time down the Chutes in last 7 years or so, and was definitely the best conditions this time. I don't think I have ever seen spring/summer snow with a smoother surface, and corn was great consistency til just maybe 400vf above the moraines.
I thought a 7:30 start was just about right for following the softening up the mtn. The wind was blowing pretty hard and pretty cold in the morning, til just above Lunchcounter, climbed most of it in a shell and even hat n gloves at times. Ski crampons were helpful. Almost had me worried wouldn't soften if that wind kept increasing. But once topping  out, whoa no wind at all and balmy!
My SW chutes exit strategy worked out pretty well I thought - 10 minutes vigorous bootpack ladder, then maybe 15 minutes rising traverse over snow w short lava ridges, but then a solid consistent traversing glide for a mile or more all the way to Crescent Ridge with very minimal plodding. I drew my line into a pix (attached) would be interested in seeing where your traverse line went. (Note: the "Roper" pic is just fished off the web because was good angle and light for showing the area twixt SW chutes and Crescent - current cover is WAY better than that.

Nice meeting you wolfs.
We watched you climbing out but we didn't fancy climbing again so soon and went for a lower exit. I think you chose well!
Spectacular day and as you say, ski crampons on the headwall felt nice and secure.

It was cool to run into to you on the way home...  Wish I could have hopped into your truck for another day on Adams...I went on a 20 mile loop hike the next day, which was much harder than climbing to the top of Adams.  And I had to ski on my hiking shoes...   Glad you guys had a good day.  The SW Chute was one of my best runs ever...  Could be the first time thing... 

Here are a few pics from our trip...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=27289&id=100000218445455&l=b07070f28d   

And some video of day1 down the climbers route...

http://www.vholdr.com/node/96860

And video of us skiing the SW Chute on day2 top to bottom...

http://www.vholdr.com/node/96853

Not the best video but the skiing was sick!!!

Yeah it was good to see you and Mrs. Freebird! Nice 20 mile walkabout where?
That camera turned backward is interesting, nice pack.
Good to meet you too Wolfs.

I kept saying that you should have jumped in the truck, three days in a row would have been an effort.
We ended up with the 6000vf skiing and close to 14,000vf of butter on our mountain bikes the next 4 days in the Hood River vicinity.
Legs could use a rest.  ;)

Hiked the Snow Lake Melakwa Loop...(with one car)
The backwards camera needs to be over the pack...  Should be good in the resort without a pack!  La Nina!
Skinned from the parking lot to the Nisqually on Wed. (with one short carry thanks to wolfs lower parking lot report)
Skiing was good from the top and excellent skiers right of the gully.
Let's go skiing in August!

Reply to this TR

adams-sw-chute-cornacoppia-7-7-10
Joedabaker
2010-07-08 08:18:22