Home > Trip Reports > Dege Peak loop, July 7, 2010

Dege Peak loop, July 7, 2010

7/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Keith_Henson on 7/7/10 10:51pm
Yesterday Mack (Telemack) and I headed to Sunrise for another outing on the rapidly melting snow pack. We parked about 3/4 miles down from the Sunrise parking lot and skinned and booted up to the ridge just under peak on the ridge about 1/2 mile  west of Dege.

Traversed on and above the trail, about 40% melted out, to  Dege's summit. Started down skier's left from the summit and then down the east face where the corn was great on the steep sections.

We then booted west up Dege's north ridge and topped out at a beautiful and very steep gully with a rollover which we skied west. Skinned south back to the Sourdough ridge line. Mack, with ski crampons, skinned up all the way (being prideful!) while I booted the steepest part of the face.

We skied down, climbed back up again, then traversed and skied to the car.

Great day. Big winds on the ridge but warm. Melting rapidly. Saw 3 skiers climb and ski Dege from the Sunrise Point parking lot. (Contact me for pictures if you see this post.)

picture available on my website...

Picture 1: Dege from Sunrise Point at the end of the day. Looking up at our ski line
Picture 2: Telemack nearing the bottom of Dege
Picture 3: me skiing off the north face of the basin off Sourdough ridge just west of Dege
Good to see that you guys had a great day at Sunrise.  I thought about you guys as I was washing the camper, patching the driveway and getting ready to get the boat out of storage.  ;)

Zap, we thought and talked about you as we followed in the footsteps of greatness! Wished you would have joined us.

Excellent day, and Keith's itinerary made for a great tour.  Lots of coverage except on the sunny faces, which are played for continuous skiing back to the car.  Fine snow with insignificant snowcups, and a regular breeze kept it less hot than we had feared. 
Wish you'd been there, Zap!  ;D 

Thanks for the link to the photos from the 7/10 trip.

Reply to this TR

dege-peak-loop-july-7-2010
Keith_Henson
2010-07-08 05:51:47