Home > Trip Reports > July 5, Interglacier corn

July 5, Interglacier corn

7/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by PS44 on 7/7/10 4:07am
Due to the cloud cover I changed my plans to check out the Sunrise and headed up to Interglacier from White River campground parking lot; needed to burn off some of those holiday calories anyway.  Skinnable from just below the Glacier basin.  Snow lower down with deep runnels but around the bend much improved, with a promise of soft corn above the fin rock and on the descent.  No crevasses were seen, not many rocks thrown on the surface yet.  Skiing down was on perfect corn (so that is what everybody talks about! :D) and I stopped a few times to admire my tracks.  At the bottom of the glacier snow got mushy and grabby but soon it was time to put my shoes back on and walk back to civilization. 

Pavel
Very nice tracks and marmot. I was imagining that would be as sweet as is looks, while I dinked around the Sunrise area on a much less ambitious outing. Thanks for the report!

Skied the Interglacier on July 8. I'd call it an anti-alpine start. Late to rise that day. All said I found good conditions as was noted in the earlier post. It may have a few good days left. Enjoy.

Reply to this TR

july-5-interglacier-corn
PS44
2010-07-07 11:07:34