Home > Forum > Russel Glacier info request

Russel Glacier info request

• Dave_Schuldt
  • [Dave_Schuldt]
More
28 Jun 2004 11:09 #169489 by Dave_Schuldt
Russel Glacier info request was created by Dave_Schuldt
Tried search but got nothing. Thinking of skiing it next weekend. Is the road to Mowich lake open? Can someone post links to TRs or provide beta or comments ( good places to camp ect)? Anyone wana go? We are planing on an overnight.<br>Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2004 15:08 #169490 by zenom
Replied by zenom on topic Re: Russel Glacier info request
Search "russell" or "flett". There's a bunch of info that'll return. Contact the park via website or phone to find out road status. It was supposed to open on June 25th. Camp high for great views of the Puget Sound, Tacoma and Seattle.

More
29 Jun 2004 02:39 #169491 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Russel Glacier info request
I like camping at the bottom of the continuious snow below cat-eye. Then do an afternoon run or two to scout out any hazards and then do another run in the moonlight back to the tent. <br>http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TAAAALUX!qLKbUVWuCweb63rz*imvmfEcHNq8aVL8MIrxggERk22dbdBsDYtxPx3Zgqyxhpa*AcwNI7vttycf7*XYSdL3EP01fXbUkVur3vVS8rzQlN*8g/RainierAM.jpg?dc=4675325792194682833<br>(Hint: Wands don't work too well for marking obstacles for night skiing; they're hard to see at night and they seem to have an affinity for a passing skier's crotch) <br>Breakfasts are usually leasurly waiting for the snow to resoften. BooKoo torture points on the trip out with overnight packs.

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
29 Jun 2004 05:15 #169492 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: Russel Glacier info request
The date that MRNP gives on their website is almost always at least 2 weeks too optimistic. I called Wilkeson last Thurs (6/24) and mentioned the web site listing possible opening the next day, and the person just laughed. They said there was 2-3' of snow at the road end at Mowich Lake, with snow on the last 2 miles of road. They seem to wait to open the gate until there is no snow at all on the road bed. The web site now says "Tentative opening early to mid-July." As I recall, they usually open the gate on a Friday, so 7/2 would seem a bit optimistic, and 7/9 or 7/16 more like it. Of course, you are allowed to walk or bike the road at any time...<br><br> www.turns-all-year.com/goldhome3/hp128/index.html

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
29 Jun 2004 08:37 - 29 Jun 2004 08:39 #169493 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: Russel Glacier info request
Charles, I just called the Park's General # 360-569-2211. I pressed 0 and asked the operator about Mowich Lk Road. They claim that they are working on the road right now and "hope" (sic) to have it open by the weekend. Should I believe them? I've gotten bogus advice from federal agencies before . . .<br><br>PS: Nice photo Ron!

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
29 Jun 2004 09:10 #169494 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: Russel Glacier info request
Well, it has been sunny and warm, and that 2 miles of snow covered road could have had shallow cover, but based on experience I'm always skeptical about those "hopeful" kinds of comments. They never seem to be willing to confidently project more than a day ahead, and certainly never offer any guarantees. Your best bet might be to call the Wilkeson RS 360-829-5127 and see what they say - at least they are on the right side of the park. Then, I'd call the day before they are saying the road "might" open and see what they have to say. They don't often surprise with an unexpected early opening, but the surprise unexpected delayed opening is no longer a surprise to me.

More
29 Jun 2004 14:40 #169495 by JMor
Replied by JMor on topic Re: Russel Glacier info request
Don't forget the jungle juice with deet, the mosquitoes and deer flies are really hungry, and BIG, and they are looking for something, and anything to feed on. If you are on the snow you're ok, but once you enter the meadow and forest look out. &gt;:( &gt;:(

• Dave_Schuldt
  • [Dave_Schuldt]
More
29 Jun 2004 17:25 #169496 by Dave_Schuldt
Replied by Dave_Schuldt on topic Re: Russel Glacier info request
Just entering Russel or Flett made the search work. Looks way cool.<br>Thanks!