Home > Trip Reports > July 3, Shasta-- Wintun and Avy Gulch

July 3, Shasta-- Wintun and Avy Gulch

7/15/10
US elsewhere
Posted by Jonathan_S. on 7/6/10 9:19am
I don't think Shasta can ever be in any better shape than this in July.
Took the usual route from Bunny Flat to the summit, then skied almost 1500' vertical of perfect steep corn on the Wintun glacier part of the Hotlum-Wintun ridge route.
Climbed back up the summit, €œskied€ ~900' vertical of assorted variability (i.e., descended with skis on at all times even when doing so made little sense), then skied nearly 3,000 vertical of perfect corn:

And finally over 3,000 vertical of descent €œtransportation€ skiing to finish the 7,212' descent (with only one trivially short portage near the trailhead, although that did ruin my attempt to descend all the way from the summit without removing my skis).

Great work again.  I summited and rode on the Wintun side both Saturday and Sunday (4th and 5th).  It was awesome riding but straight off the summit was a bit tracked up.

I am off right now for the Wy'east and Adams.  Hopefully I get better conditions on the Wy'east than you did last week.

Get in touch next year and maybe we can ride some peaks together.

Nice!  BTW, has anybody done the Hotum/Bolum route this year?  Wondering about conditions (like lack of gigantic suncups!!..probably getting too warm now...)

- checking your report, I know one of the reasons the corn was so ripe up top on Shasta, is that the weather kept staying cool through June. the other reason is the elevation.  nice report - I was jealous. I'm down on Lassen where the top is nearly 4,000 ft less. the suncups are usually about 4-6 inches, in early July, except for the NE chutes. but they usually start getting some cup action also. on this side, I climb up what I skied, do another lap, then get to ski the S. side.    Wintun is a Native name.

Reply to this TR

july-3-shasta-wintun-and-avy-gulch
Jonathan_S.
2010-07-06 16:19:00