Home > Trip Reports > July 5, Elk Mt ONP, misty corn

July 5, Elk Mt ONP, misty corn

7/15/10
WA Olympics
Posted by chmnyboy on 7/5/10 1:11pm
Skier8484 and I hit the trail at about 7:45am under nearly cloudless skies. Views of the Olympics were great on the 5 mile ridgewalk out until the clouds really started to build at about 10. Since the clouds kept the snow frozen we took a 2 hr nap and dropped into the E bowl of Elk at noon to find super smooth corn snow, with visibility being good if we timed our descents with the sucker holes. We dropped the central chutes at about 130 with good visibility for the first 10 turns before we dropped into the thick clouds which only allowed about 50' of sight. At the bottom of the chutes it was misting heavily and very dark, so we climbed back to the top and waited for a break in the clouds. It never really came, so we bailed, running into stormking and local ripper Alex who had just skied Maiden Peak in similar low visibility conditions.

The snowpack was thick, smooth, and consolidated out at Elk. Should make for a great ski in the next few weeks for those willing to make the hike.

All apologies to Brian for forgetting the beer cooler at my house.

Central Chutes:

The hike out:

Clouds taking over the hurricane ridge/Klahane Ridge area:
Get it guys! Been wanting to hit that zone for sure. Heading up to the Baker area next weekend and would be good to see you guys up there.

Way to go!

How much snow is there on the trail out to Maiden? Was the visability good enough for you to see Grand Lake and is is fully melted out?

Patchy snow in the forest before Maiden, not much but more than what I've seen in early June of previous years. Moose and Grand are all melted out, but tons of snow on Elk Mt.

Reply to this TR

july-5-elk-mt-onp-misty-corn
chmnyboy
2010-07-05 20:11:20