Home > Trip Reports > July 4, 2010, Burroughs Exploration

July 4, 2010, Burroughs Exploration

7/4/10
Posted by unclebo on 7/5/10 2:43am
I needed one more day of skiing (maybe I'll make 12 months) and Susan wanted to try out new gear - hadn't been to Sunrise but thought it would be fun to explore the Burroughs area.  We arrived a little before 9am (ran into some fellow TAYers who were doing Dege Peak, we saw tracks coming in but it was too cloudy to see when leaving) and got going with a high track towards Frozen Lake.  It was too high and we had to traverse down, sorry to those who followed and did the same:).

With constant winds and very low clouds we first skied the SE bowl to skiers right off the Burroughts ridge that we could see from the parking lot, getting two runs in.  3" to 4" of corn on a solid base, and you could generally avoid the sun cups if you tried - the lower 300 feet of the second run was a litle mushy so after running into five other folks doing this run we decided to explore the Berkeley Park side of Burroughs crossing the frozen tundra.

The corn snow on this side was fantastic - we skied all the way down and it was generally consistent 2" over a hard base and we had to take a second run.  We might have been enticed to a third but we were tired and had to make it back to Seattle for a canoe paddle to watch the fireworks (concerned as it rained on the way out, but by Seattle it was fine).  A great ending to a great day!
Real nice meeting you in the parking lot. Turned out to be a great day in the mountains.

Maybe I talked to you, too, up near Frozen Lake where I was finding some nice smooth but fairly short runs on north and northeast faces, if you were the couple coming up from Sunrise Camp area, and over via Frozen Lk to Burroughs. I saw a group of 4 guys and 2 guys down in the bowl N side of Sourdough Ridge, too. Looked decent there but foggier and windier. Great to be there and to ski all the way down to the lot at Sunrise, with some nice visibility and even some sunshine by the time I got back to the lodge.

author=Keith_Henson link=topic=17088.msg71937#msg71937 date=1278367207]
Real nice meeting you in the parking lot. Turned out to be a great day in the mountains.

I was great to meet you folks too - looked like you had a good one - hope to see you again soon.

Reply to this TR

july-4-2010-burroughs-exploration
unclebo
2010-07-05 09:43:36