Home > Trip Reports > July 3, 2010, Bagley Lakes Basin (Baker ski area)

July 3, 2010, Bagley Lakes Basin (Baker ski area)

7/3/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 7/3/10 12:17pm

My 13-year-old son has grown into a pair of his mom's backcountry boots and skis, so we've been introducing him to summer skiing this year. Due to Independence Day plans, we decided to ski on Saturday, even though the weather wasn't ideal. We headed for the Mt Baker ski area.

We started skiing right at the parking lot. There was a big bulldozer ready to start plowing the Austin Pass road, but no plowing has begun yet. I was a little surprised by that, because I've seen them plow earlier than this before. I guess they have delayed due to the snowy spring. The Slush Cup pond was hardly melted at all (see photo above). Since the original
Cool Lowell - skiing with your boy must be rewarding.  My two boys are 3 years old and 5 days old (just had one) and I can't wait for them to tag along with dad for some summer skiing (if they are interested).  I'm glad you had a good time.

Nice Lowell,
Great to see you are getting your son out into the backcountry at a young age.
We have been encouraging our older son to join us in the backcountry. It is a great to experience time together as a family in the mountains.
Thanks for the reminder of the original Slush Cup, I have some hazy memories of this event.

Gary

Nice work Team Skoog!!

Reply to this TR

july-3-2010-bagley-lakes-basin-baker-ski-area
Lowell_Skoog
2010-07-03 19:17:48