Home > Trip Reports > June 26-27, 2004, Sourdough Chutes Fest - MRNP

June 26-27, 2004, Sourdough Chutes Fest - MRNP

6/26/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ron j on 6/27/04 9:38am
Wow.

(Here's a shot of the Kamster ripping it up on Dege Chute on Sunday)

What a weekend.  I'm sure glad they only open the road to Sunrise once a year.  I don't know if these old bones could handle that every weekend.

SATURDAY
We showed up at the hairpin parking with 5 peeps; Jeanette (MadDog), Jerry (JW), Joe (Joedabaker), Chris (cascadesfreak) and yours truly.  We assaulted Dege Pk. with an alpine start at the crack of 9:30 and had our way with the NE chutes.  I think I got some pretty good air shots of Chris and Jerry careening off the top.

With more chutes to do we hustled back to the cars and moved them to the official Sunrise "Tailgate Par-T" location and headed for our fave SD Chutes.  While we worked our legs and grin muscles to the max on Sourdough Ridge there was one momentary glance towards Burroughs, but with all the lines we had the responsibility of doing above the parking lot, and what with the beer, hotdogs, chips and other accoutrements we had the responsibility of consuming down in the cars, we just couldn't make it over there.  Geezers just don't cover ground that fast (and the youngsters seemed happy where they were).

No more had we built our lawn chair village and got the homewreckers on the grill than the droves of hearty skiers returning from Burroughs started showing up.  The first to emerge from the Burroughs highway exit # 1 was Eric (snoslut) and his two alpy patrol buddies.  They had been out to 3rd Burroughs and had found a couple of pretty fine lines.  They promptly joined us in the festivities and mixed in nicely.  

Others passed and visited briefly, many who's names escape me at the moment (it's ok to do that when you get older, right?  I'll come back on an edit and put more names in as I remember them.)  Dorthea (skinut) came by with another lady.  They had done a through sampling of the lines from the parking lot to 3rd Burroughs.  That lady's nearly old enough to be MY mother and she's still covering that kind of ground.  What an inspiration.

After we'd packed up and were leaving we ran into Brenda, Michael, and a friend of theirs, who had also been cutting corn out on the Burroughs.

SUNDAY
This was the big one; the official circus.  We had 9 peeps sitting around the b.fast table at Buzzy's: MadDog, JW, Joe and yours truly were the repeats.  The rest of the Sunday crew were Stefan (sag), Dan (official wounded knee photographer and best friend of Jerry's) Michael, Jim (jimjar), and Amy, the Kam and Josh (ned flanders) stopped by the get the ski plan for the day to join us for the repeat of Saturday.

The same alpine start on Dege again with so many cameras going everyone felt like a movie star at the emmys going down that chute.  Making the move to the Sunrise lot a little more efficiently this time we managed to get the throat of the first object of our affections a little quicker this time.  Lots of grins.  Joe also showed us the "rolls" variation which gave us quicker access to more chutes.  Great call Joe.

With guilt bearing down on us again for shunning Burroughs, we hung our heads and headed for the BBQ & beverages.  Guess who was there waiting for the party to begin when we got there?  ZAP!!! So we circled the wagons again and had a great old time. And this time we met even more cool folks stopping by: Bud, Ema, Norman, fleblebleb, (and another guy who's name I alredy forgot, sorry, dude  ??? )  It was really nice meeting all of you!!!

We got so many pics we'll proly be posting them for days (I'll try and get mine culled and posted in the next couple of days).  Hey Dan, thanks coming ON FOOT to shoot viddy of us.  That was cool (and probably painful to watch for a race skier).

If you want to run a few lines on sweet corn 20-30 minutes from the car better get up there in the next few days; the snow is really going fast.  I kinda doubt there will be much there to work with by next weekend.
Wow sounds like an amazing time Ron!! I look forward to seeing the photos!

the snow is really going fast.  I kinda doubt there will be much there to work with by next weekend.

Yikes! Does this statement apply to the Burroughs or just Dege Pk?

Jeffey - Well, we didn't actually go out to Burroughs this year, but from the sounds of the reports of those who did, I'd guess that the Burroughs are in the same situation.

Gaper_Jeffey some buddies and I toured the Burroughs on Saturday.  Observation: 3rd had enough snow to ride/ski climbers left from the summit down to the 2nd/3rd saddle.  2nd had no continuous lines from the top but had some fingers that could be reached with a little scramble.  1st looked grim.  Like Ron mentioned, get there within the next few days, but after asking yourself if it's worth the hike.  With this weeks forcast you may want to install a fin on your ski and or board cause there will be lots of ponds. ;D

Hey Ron, Joe, Jerry, Jeanette thanks for the treats and laughs afterwards.  Kudos to Jeanette for doing a superb job at grill master.  Those dogs hit the spot.  Was nice exiting the trail head right into a tail gate party...and twins. ;D

It seems like I'm supposed to be doing something this morning besides editing ski photos, oh yeah work!  Great weekend! Great weather,snow, friends and food.
My photos at

hey, it was good to ski with everyone and meet the faces behind the names!  ronj and MadDog, thanks for organizing it! i'll post up a link to my photos, but first i have to get some work done....but if you must, here's a sneak peek at the party..

-kam

Fun, fun, fun, "party like a rock star."   8)

that was an absolute pleasure and I'd like to thank all that offered skiing  advice I believe it's helping. I had a great time skiing with you all.

more photos at
http://community.webshots.com/album/157375631cGcmnx

Brenda and I were happy to have seen you guys - even though briefly. We had planned on joining the festivities on Sat afternoon, but the trip out to the Burroughs took longer than expected. Next year for sure.

Nice to meet some fellow kooks!
I was the skier (with the snowboarder) just in front of y'all. JW's pics 20 (not proud of that one at all), 21, and 22. Thanks for taking them!!! I only wish they'd opened the road when there was more snow on Dege... It's a great ski!

I won't be able to upload any of my pics until after the Holiday unfortunately, but I do have some good ones to throw up.  Nice to meetchoo all!

ps:lot's of NW freaks gather here as well...
www.tetongravity.com/forums

Well scripted trip report Ron! Thanks for the great time had by all. As mentioned several times by others-Great to put faces to pseudonyms. Great Pictures Jerry - I love the domestic mountain goat shot and the other one at the tail end.;) The telemarking did me in I could barely walk today. That will teach me to get a wild hair. Great to have such a cool group of folks to share a weekend in the mountains! My pictures will be posted when I figure out the method. Looking forward to touring with some of the TAY kindred spirits in the future.
JDB

I missed the ski party at Sunrise on Sunday?  If only I had known they had open the road that weekend. ???

The telemarking did me in I could barely walk today.

If only you had known we were going to get "serious" about skiing on Sunday, you might have been able to save the knees.  ;)  Hey JDB thanks for the fresh baked pies!!  Wow, peach on Saturday and raspberry on Sunday.  Who's bringing the ice cream next year??   8)

Yeah, It certainly was nice running into old friends and meeting all the folks we hadn't met yet.  Thanks all for coming and stopping by, GREAT Fun!!
Yeah, Joe, the pies were great.  You're certainly an animal, AT on Saturday, TELE on Sunday.  To bad your old friend Donnelly didn't make it up to give you some competition.  I would have liked to meet him.  'Course to get his usual vertical in for the day he would have melted out all the good lines with his repeated laps.
Still working on getting my pics posted, I'll get there.

Until Ron gets his photos up, I do have a few posted here for everyone to look at.

http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/pictures

With as many camera's and shutter bugs etc. it was  "Hollywood" at Sourdough  ;D  8)

hello,

my photos are up:

Click here to view

i'll post a short movie of the trip soon.  enjoy.

-kam

Another great day with the Turns-all-Year crew! Thanks Ron and MADDOG!

Here are my photos for the day:

http://community.webshots.com/album/157717281WlpJTg

I also wanted to say thank you, thank you to joedabaker. that was the best mountain pie I've ever had. you are welcome to bring those any time. ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for organizing a great trip Ron & Jeanette!! Guess I missed the "official circus" on Sunday  ;D but I had a great time with you all on Dege Saturday morning...wish I could've stuck around for the BBQ, but maybe next year!  ;)

Thanks Ron and Jeanette - I had another great time skiing with you all!

What a great way to spend a sunday!!!

Joe, thanks for the pie, it surely hit the spot.

~Joshua (aka Ned)

Sorry I missed you guys, I seemed to be chasing your tails all day.  Got back to the car after the carpet was rolled up.   >:(  Will look forward to tagging up next year though.

Well now there's a gaggle of photos at
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/sourdoughchutefest6262704.msnw

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time (or talent) to caption them like Kam did, so there's no equivalent chuckles, but there IS lots of pic of the gang having fun!!

and tibaher, there's also a couple good ones of you in there, to make up for the one you didn't care for of JW's  ;)  Thanks for joining our little community.

Thanks, all for participating, for those that missed it we hope to meet you on the mountain or at least next time!!

And to the elusive J-Lady, we'll figure out who you are, and/or meet you some time.

;D  Nice air shots of Jerry and Chirs on the Dege "Hollywood" action shoot.   8)

You mean These?

Nice photos of that cornice.  Great air and well done!   ;D  Mighty tasty looking for taking several leaps of that air.  I'm drooling over that cornice ???  Oh, there's always next year.  But this year is far from finished for me. ;D  There's plenty of airs to be had outthere!

Thanks, Donnelly.
And you're absolutely right, there still plenty of turns to be had out there.
Say, did you see that your old buddy, Joedabaker made THE COVER OF (the skiers equivalent of) THE ROLLING STONE!?!!
Check it out:
http://www.telemarktips.com/index.htm

I guess every dog has it's day!  ;D Thanks Ron for the great shot which allowed me to achieve such fame 8) and uh.... I am a diehard skier-well there will be no fortune. But, the babes are worth it- Oh yeah....I mentioned that I am a skier didn't I?
We missed you Donnelly. You would have been throwing all sorts of tricks off of the cornices!
Thanks for the complements on the pie-You are all welcome and it may become tradition. I enjoyed the camaraderie as much of you enjoyed the pie!
I will get to my Pics and post soon  ;)
JDB

Just when you think the thread has run out of gas--
I know it is late but here are my pics of the event.
http://community.webshots.com/album/159526687TItxXr

Nice job on the pics, Joe.
Thanks for posting them.  
Did I hear that you were a super die hard and went back this last weekend for yet ANOTHER dose of sourdough??
Did you still find some good lines?

Yea Ron-In order to have a good sourdough you have to work the starter. I posted a report and had 3 more days of great skiing. Still some lines left check out the report and pics.
JDB

Reply to this TR

june-26-27-2004-sourdough-chutes-fest-mrnp
ron j
2004-06-27 16:38:22