Home > Trip Reports > Sunrise, Sourdough Ridge, June 30, 2010

Sunrise, Sourdough Ridge, June 30, 2010

6/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Keith_Henson on 6/30/10 10:14pm
Headed to Sunrise today. Hardly any cars in the parking lot. Though sunny and visibility perfect, it was chilly with the wind, especially on the ridge.

Skinned to the Sourdough Ridge and headed east. Stopped at the point west of Dege. Snow was perfect corn, soft and smooth, and I skied a couple laps from the top into the north basin in bright sun.

On the way back I skied north into the bowl down from the saddle on Sourdough Ridge to the west of Antler, which by 3 PM was in the shade and the snow was even better as it had stiffened up slightly.

Though at the top of the ridge where it was steep, I was hitting the rocks below when climbing back up, I'm confident the skiing will remain stellar through the weekend. 

As I drove out, Dege still looked great from Sunrise Point and a number of tracks were visible.

Picture 1: ski time
2: tracks.
3. the northeast face of Antler looks good
We were out at the lookout and skied some of the best corn we've had in a while.  The cool breeze kept the snow good all day! ;D

Here is a video of our last run back towards Sunrise.  Not the best snow of the day but still a fun run.

http://www.vholdr.com/node/95741 

Nice video, Freebird.  Which aspects of the lookout did you ski?  We're hoping the northwest slopes are still in good shape for this weekend. 

author=Keith_Henson link=topic=17062.msg71834#msg71834 date=1277990046]
I'm confident the skiing will remain stellar through the weekend. 

On your word Keith!
I'll hope to see you up there.

Keith, I'm counting on you and the other PNW skiers to groom the sun cups before I return next week.   ;)

Please shaveMMMMM down for a senior citizen.

We planned on just skiing the run in the video...  Once we saw the slopes on the backside of the lookout (Northeast) there was no choice but to ski them.  By far the smoothest corn we've found up at Sunrise this week.  The steeper slopes skiers right of the lookout were the best.  No sun cups to groom just smooth corn. 8)

Here are a few pics from the day...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=26533&id=100000218445455&l=231cb2a8dc

Totally agree with freebird that the best was on the northeast aspect. Really smooth. I'm planning on heading up there Sunday and ski off the top of Dege or the NE face of Antler.

Here are some more pictures at my website showing the conditions.

Went up again today, Sunday, July 4 with my buddy. Snow was still great on the steep parts, bumpier on the not so steep...

Some pictures here..

Reply to this TR

sunrise-sourdough-ridge-june-30-2010
Keith_Henson
2010-07-01 05:14:06