Home > Trip Reports > June 29, 2010, Mt Hood Barret Spur

June 29, 2010, Mt Hood Barret Spur

6/29/10
OR Mt Hood
Posted by rootsman on 6/30/10 6:53am
Set out with Andrew to earn some turns on the quiet side of Mt Hood. We hiked in the Vista Ridge trail, which leads to Wyeast Basin on the north side of the mountain. The first mile of the trail was beautiful, the second mile either was either a stream bed or under intermittent snow, the last mile or so was firm snow through the trees. We broke out of the trees at the bottom of Wyeast Basin and began a rising traverse across the snowfields, east towards Barret Spur.

Early cloud cover helped keep the snow firm and we elected to boot most of the way up the basin. We hit the high point on the Spur about 1 PM and dropped in to Elk Cove. We had about two inches of corn over a well cooked spring pack, and on the steeper slopes our turns set off some small, 1-2 inch deep hisser slides that were easily out-skied.

After a great run from the top of the Spur, we headed up to the ridge separating Elk Cove and Wyeast Basin (Pinnacle Ridge maybe?) and Andrew dropped in for another helping while I took some photos and relaxed. With the hour getting late, we then dropped back into Wyeast Basin and good turns on the bowls above the basin.

The trail had melted noticeably during the day, but we were still able to ski for at least a mile after the trail entered the trees. In another week or so you could probably hike most of the way to the Basin.

Got back to an empty trailhead (aside from our car, that is), though Andrew claims to have seen the tracks of yet another un-witnessed dayhiker.  It wasn't a trip with a great booting/skiing ratio, but we got to spend the day in a really beautiful area and had it to ourselves.
nice TR,  nice photos.  Way to work for it.  I believe that basin on the west side, or flip side of Barret spur is Wyeast basin.  What a great, and expansive area, but it does take the extra effort to get in there and enjoy it.

Nice report and pictures!  That area has been on the list for awhile.  Really beautiful in there....I've seen the nice lines from Snowdome.  It is a ways in there though.  Thanks for the report.

We skied Barrett Spur last Thursday with similar conditions.

Our approach was via the Elk Cove Trail #631. I believe it is a little longer but puts you in Elk Cove and sets you up for an easy exit.

This was our first visit to Berrett Spur and I don't think I've had such an interesting experience on Mt Hood, Barrett Spur gives you the feeling of being on a completely different mountain, no where else on Hood do you get this feeling. Plus the views of the north side are spectacular.

This, by far, was on of my all time favorite trips on Hood.

author=rong link=topic=17056.msg71821#msg71821 date=1277945127]
... I believe that basin on the west side, or flip side of Barret spur is Wyeast basin...

Yep, absolutely correct. TR corrected to reflect this. Carin is the next one further to the west, I think.

Reply to this TR

june-29-2010-mt-hood-barret-spur
rootsman
2010-06-30 13:53:10