Home > Trip Reports > June 28, 2010, Hillman Peak,Crater Lake Natl Park

June 28, 2010, Hillman Peak,Crater Lake Natl Park

6/28/10
OR elsewhere
Posted by Zap on 6/29/10 10:38am
Roadside opportunity was available again.  We entered the north entrance of Crater Lake National Park after spending the evening near Diamond Lake.  Just as we passed the North Junction at 7025€™ the snow banks became impressive, and along Devil€™s Backbone I spotted this beautiful, steep face on Hillman Peak at 8151€™.  I saw 2 sets of old ski tracks and the skiers€™ boot pack to the summit ridge.  It was just €œright there€.  I hate boot packing unless absolutely mandatory, so I put on the skins and ski crampons and took off.  €œSometimes adventure begins where the skin track ends.€  The last 100vf were steep, but the snow was soft enough for the ski to penetrate an inch and still firm enough for the ski crampon to penetrate and hold without the dreaded reverse skid.  As I approached the summit ridge and was starting to breathe easier, I found myself on a knife edge ridge with a thin snow bridge to a nearby rock formation.  Yes, €œsometimes adventure begins where the skin track ends€.  I looked over the opposite edge, and there was an extremely steep snow face that eventually ended at Skell Channel with Wizard Island in Crater Lake below me. 

Although the views were spectacular looking down on Wizard Island and the deep blue color of Crater Lake, this was not a friendly location.  Jill called me on the radio, I explained the situation, and she suggested that I better get off the ridge quickly.  Right!  We€™ve all been on something steep or on a thin spot and have had the opportunity to do the one skin removal at a time, while balancing on the other foot which is dug into the slope.  Your support leg starts to tire and your calf muscle starts to twitch.  I started sweating and finally got myself all buckled up for the descent when it hits me €“ take some photos €“ you€™ll never be at this location again.  So I took some photos without looking through the viewfinder which might have caused me to lose my balance.  Finally I€™m heading down, and it€™s wonderful steep corn with minimal soft sun cups.  I€™m at the road and it€™s over €“ 500vf and a 45 minute roundtrip with a heart throbbing 10 minute summit adventure.  Wow! 

Surprisingly there are mosquitoes at 7500€™.  We€™re continuing south for more sunshine and snow. 
nice pictures!

zap
nice TR

that was my first BC ski trip in washington in 1981

cheers
robert

Great trip report, Zap. I recall a few episodes of calf twitching "sewing machine legs" - not much fun. Bring those blue skies back north with you, please

I plan to follow your lead and do some patriotic turns on the 4th.  Per our conversation, do you think there is an easier spot to make my transition?  Should I boot or ski?

author=telemack link=topic=17051.msg71878#msg71878 date=1278090721]
I plan to follow your lead and do some patriotic turns on the 4th.  Per our conversation, do you think there is an easier spot to make my transition?  Should I boot or ski?

A young guy,like you,
should be able to boot Hillman much quicker than a senior citizen.  ;D

author=rnbfish link=topic=17051.msg71825#msg71825 date=1277951949]
that was my first BC ski trip in washington in 1981

Crater lake in Washington???

Great pictures Zap, I've always wanted to ski there. The only time I was there it was raining cats and dogs for days as I was doing business in Kalamath Falls (brought skis in case). It looks like a virtual Chute Fest with an abrupt terminus at the lake edge.

Reply to this TR

june-28-2010-hillman-peak-crater-lake-natl-park
Zap
2010-06-29 17:38:42