Home > Trip Reports > June 26, 2010, South Sister

June 26, 2010, South Sister

6/26/10
OR elsewhere
Posted by DG on 6/28/10 1:53am
My girlfriend and I skied south sister on Saturday, finally soaking in some good conditions.  Snow is not continuous until around 6,000 feet and is melting fast in the woods.  But the coverage up on the mountain looks more like you'd expect in late May rather than late June.  We camped around 6,800 feet under a full moon.  Saturday dawned perfectly clear and the trend on the mountain that day was of skiers and dogs, so I guess we fit right in.  We even crossed paths with a pug (!) near the summit.

Skiing down just after noon, we found stellar corn conditions on the upper mountain.  Below 9,000 feet it felt quite a bit warmer with little wind so the snow was heavier, but still fun.  After a full day in the sun, we rolled into Bend with hearty appetites, and were not disappointed as the Bite of Bend was going on downtown...yum!
Good looking pics and report.  That's been on my list since doing a summer in the area last year.

The little dogs are amazing, I bet that pug was tired by the end of the day.

Aw, I LOVE Oregon.  Looks like it was a glorius day.

author=trees4me link=topic=17029.msg71749#msg71749 date=1277759134]
The little dogs are amazing, I bet that pug was tired by the end of the day.

No kidding - he looked like he was loving it.  But it really puts it in perspective - how can I ever complain about suncups if they aren't at least as tall as I am?

Looks like a good time!  Nice coverage up high!

Stoudema, the coverage up high is actually better than last year when you and I rode it on Memorial Day!  Below 8000 it is melting fast.

DG, Rebecca and I crossed paths with you and your girlfriend just at the start of the final treed descent near Moraine Lake.  We were the ones saying that your dog looked a lot like our dog.

We saw the pug almost back at the parking lot and he did not even look winded after his climb!  The owner said that he runs 30 miles a week with him.

Good to meet you guys up there Buell!

Reply to this TR

june-26-2010-south-sister
DG
2010-06-28 08:53:31