Home > Trip Reports > June 26, SW Chutes

June 26, SW Chutes

6/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by chmnyboy on 6/27/10 3:33pm
After a big meal and a few cold ones at the Full Sail pub, Gary, Jan, Brian, Jeff, and I figured a ski down Adams would be a perfect way to burn the calories and keep our lady-like figures. We were able to drive just past the Morrison Creek CG, although the small snow drifts that blocked further progress to Cold Springs CG won't last much longer, which will cut down a few more miles off the approach.

We started the climb just before sunrise and were able to skin from just below Cold Springs. The South Climb sun got warm quick, encouraging the more trashy individuals to take a clothing optional skin up to the false summit, where the W wind really picked up. Skinning all the way to the true summit, the wind increased further, moving at a brisk 40+ mph.

The ski from the summit was firm but smooth, and the chutes were awesome corn all the way to the exit, where the conditions quickly went rotten. Here it was apparent that the lack of melt-freeze left a fair bit of mush underneath a thin crust and care was taken to avoid being taken off our feet by occasional hisser slides we set off.

Since the snow level was relatively high, we opted to avoid the Morrison Creek exit and took a short skin back towards the S Climb route, which was slower than a direct exit out Morrison, but easier than the horror stories I had heard in the past. A quick hike down the road and a few "shortcuts" later, we found ourselves drinking beer and tending our sunburns at the parking lot.

I seem to be jinxed when it comes to taking pic on Adams, so I'll let GaryJan post some of the ones they got.
What's the likelihood look like for driveability to Cold Springs next weekend?  Were you still able to skin the round the mountain back to the South Climb?

"The South Climb sun got warm quick, encouraging the more trashy individuals to take a clothing optional skin up to the false summit."

Trashy Olympic peninsula skiers.  Its bad when you have to pack all that extra clothing to the false summitt.  Strong work.  Can't wait to see Garyand Jan's pictures.

author=ovrthhills link=topic=17028.msg71732#msg71732 date=1277737436]
"The South Climb sun got warm quick, encouraging the more trashy individuals to take a clothing optional skin up to the false summit."

Trashy Olympic peninsula skiers.  Its bad when you have to pack all that extra clothing to the false summitt.  Strong work.  Can't wait to see Garyand Jan's pictures.

It was a lucky for us that Tyler was packing some extra weight, he and Brian both set a mean pace all day on the climb.

Not much to add to Tyler's description of the day, so here's a few pictures and a link to a few more.

http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20100626MtAdamsSWChutes#

Photo 1: Tyler making the "clothing optional" climb to the false summit.
Photo 2: Brian, not wanting to be outdone, makes a bold fashion statement.
Photo 3: Brian and Tyler enjoying some great corn in the SW Chutes

Gary and Jan

Nice caption on the last picture Gary; you had to know Tyler and I would bring a little party to the slog that is Mt. Adams.  Keep the next (long) weekend open, and we'll keep the bender going ;)

golly, sorry I missed this one:( half-naked skiers and all!
good work gang...

We had a gang of five up there that day too.  The SW chutes were awesome.  It was nice that it took a while to corn up, as it took us a while to summit.
We ended up missing the optimum traverse back to our up and ended up on a lower trail that took us to Morrison Creek CG.  There was a bit of bushwacking and backtracking up to the car, but in the end, a most incredible day.
Nice post!

Sounds like a great trip.  You seem to have timed it right.  I was hoping to get down there this past week but the unseasonably low FL's have stymied my plans.

I would have loved to join your group but we had two kids birthday parties last weekend.  My consolation prize was an hour in the "bouncy castle".  Strangely enough, it seemed like good training after a half hour or so.  You might be supprise at how much cardio is required to throw kids around in one of those things.

Too sexy for your shirt Tyler?  (I know the feeling  ;))

Reply to this TR

june-26-sw-chutes
chmnyboy
2010-06-27 22:33:21