Home > Trip Reports > June 27, 2010, Cascade Pass

June 27, 2010, Cascade Pass

6/27/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Glorificus Adventum on 6/27/10 12:58pm
This is one of those trips that leaves you feeling smug for getting it right. I was hiking at 7:20 and made this pass two hours later (via the summer trail) and topped out at the top of the first point above the pass (6200ft) an hour later. The weather forecast was showing a morning window for good weather so I decided it would be worth the drive. After climbing up I hung out for a bit. I was contemplating pushing on but being by myself and noting the cliff band that was part way down under the traverse heading out, I thought better of it. The snow was a little sun cupped with pollen but it skied extremely well. Few inches of soft over a firm base made for a ripping good time. Coming of of the pass was a little tricky in that you drop down and then traverse to the Johannesburg side to pick up the main gully (and snow). This was notably more choppy but the large runnels and slumps were fun to pop off of. The snow runs out about 200 yards from the parking lot which requires a bush whack through slide alder. This section took 20+ minutes but did nothing to damper an outstanding day. Just before hitting Concrete the forecasted rain came in which added to my smugness ;D. An entirely agreeable day and would highly recommend this tour as the terrain is excellent and the views second to none.
Nice TR.

Wish I Was There!

Reply to this TR

june-27-2010-cascade-pass
Glorificus Adventum
2010-06-27 19:58:07