Home > Trip Reports > 06.26.10, false white mtn, tioga pass

06.26.10, false white mtn, tioga pass

6/15/10
Posted by kam on 6/27/10 5:12am

It's not as bad as it looks, especially late in the day when the sun has cooked the cup out of it -- think 'breakable'!

Back on Wednesday, a message popped up in my inbox with the subject line: corny fun? from Silas.  I didn't even have to open the message to know that he was nearby with one thing on his mind.  So I suggested Tioga Pass to hopefully fulfill his Wild dreams of a 'relatively high' JOM (Joy-O-Meter = skiable vert/approach vert * 100).

How Wild is this?

Peter, Silas, Chris T. and skied the obvious fan of False White Mountain on Saturday.  You can't miss the big slope from the road.  Instead of the more-preferred standard approach, we opted for the more-sporty, more-scenic route, which included a refreshing dip:

Oh, there was a little bit of walking to be done, too.  I've been out skiing almost every weekend and have noticed that the snow is melting fast.  Cups are everywhere, but they are more enjoyable late in the day.

In the end, JOM = 87%.  Happy, Silas?

A few more photos:
Peter, Silas, and Chris by Spuller Lake

nice to finally be able to put a face to your name kam. Glad you're still enjoying the white stuff....

hi Ryan -- likewise!  But I'm envious because it seems like up north you guys will be able to enjoy the snow longer.  It's melting so fast hear with the heat, and today it was so hot that I had to wait until 7:30pm to take out my mountain bike. 

Kam, When Silas told me he was heading for Tioga,  I mentioned the Mo Mart and the carrot cake with the raspberry and chocolate drizzle but it was a meal for 2.  So did you go to the Mo Mart after your cup fest ?

I love the photo of Silas on the stream crossing-you bad.  ;)

author=kam link=topic=17018.msg71730#msg71730 date=1277717155]
hi Ryan -- likewise!  But I'm envious because it seems like up north you guys will be able to enjoy the snow longer.  It's melting so fast hear with the heat, and today it was so hot that I had to wait until 7:30pm to take out my mountain bike. 

Theisen and Silas together, Kam?  That makes for a VERY fun day I imagine!
Gotta get down there sometime.  Hello to you all.

John

Those cups on the flats must have been EE, could have held a melon.  All the makings for a fun trip:  hiking, stream crossing, entertaining snow, great views, nice ski slopes, fine weather, and good company.  Here are a few photos of the organizer....

Reply to this TR

06-26-10-false-white-mtn-tioga-pass
kam
2010-06-27 12:12:51