Home > Trip Reports > June 25, 2010- Dege Peak@ Sunrise

June 25, 2010- Dege Peak@ Sunrise

6/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Scotsman on 6/25/10 1:04pm
Joedabaker and I couldn't help ourselves and decided skiing Sunrise on opening day more important than other things. ;)
We got to entrance at about noon but the road was already open. Up to the hairpin and Dege looked good. Skinned all the way to summit along ridge. Ladybug attack on the summit.
Joe skied down directly from summit. I skied down about 200 ft to shoulder entry to big face.
Skiing was good, about 2" to 3"" slushy penetration on consolidated base. No hissers or slushalanches,
but it is a bit bumpy with suncups starting to form so you want to get it when it's soft.
It'll probably be smoothed out by lots of skiers tomorrow.

From there we went "walkabout" exploring some areas I had never skied.
We toured out towards Marcus peak and dropped a couple of nice steep lines getting further and further away from the road.
Back to car by six pm.
Very warm, blue ski all day. Views from Sunrise so spectacular.
Thanks for the company and great skiing Joe.
It's all in prime condition boys and gals... go get some.
Joe has pics.
Nice work gents, it sure is beautiful country out there- glad you got it.

Chris

Yes good tour to test out my new Stoke skis, boot liners and Frankentongue design. Awesome skis and great turners. But the Scot keeps saying their to short for me because he knows I like to sell off my fat skis. They weigh less about 2lbs less than my Kailas skis with skins on!
Anyhow great day, on the tour back we were able to hide out in the trees to keep out of the heat-lots of snow. Be kind as to watch not to tromp where flowers are starting penetrate the winters icy cover. Also watch out for the wildlife. I kept finding ladybugs in my house that tagged along for the ride. Don't hang out to long at the top of Dege or you will be covered by them. Getting ready for round two today.

Great TR and photos.  I was bummed yesterday when I learned about the opening on the 25th seeing we were near Paradise on the 24th.  It's very sunny near The Sisters in OR.  ;)

Stokes - 2lbs lighter than Kailas with skins, hmmmm.  You are now the "official traibreaker". ;D

Joe is the bear picture from CRR? Hear they've been around a bunch recently.

author=PNWBrit link=topic=17009.msg71700#msg71700 date=1277660536]
Joe is the bear picture from CRR? Hear they've been around a bunch recently.

No the bear was alongside the road past the Frying Pan TH. He or she's been seen frequently there.
It's not a big one, about the size of a large dog. Seemed quite unperturbed by us although I wasn't going to get out of the car and take up Joe's suggestion that " you should pet it and i'll take the photo"

We saw a bear on the side of the road by Frying Pan Creek on Tuesday.
It was sitting up like a dog begging for food.

Brenda and I had a bear walk through our camp at White River CG last night.

Reply to this TR

june-25-2010-dege-peak-sunrise
Scotsman
2010-06-25 20:04:52