Home > Trip Reports > June 25, 2004, Sunrise to Third Burroughs

June 25, 2004, Sunrise to Third Burroughs

6/25/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by J.P. on 6/25/04 10:09am
After leaving home in drizzle, arriving at Sunrise around 9 a.m. with full sun and downright hot temps made it feel like summer again.  8)

The ridge trail to Frozen Lake is only partially snow covered, as are the slopes up to 1st Burroughs.  Once past 1st Burroughs I did not see any other recent boot or ski tracks (other than those from Charles' trip early in the month).  Unexpectedly, I had the 2nd and 3rd Burroughs to myself until after reaching 2nd Burroughs again on the return trip.

Partial dirt / snow down to the 2nd / 3rd Burroughs saddle, then snow cover to the top of 3rd Burroughs.  The views in all directions were spectacular as the low lands appeared smothered by the persistent marine layer.  Lots of rock and ice fall on Willis Wall made for a noisy lunch.  Just as I left 3rd Burroughs, rockfall off of the rock at 3rd Burroughs triggered what sounded like a large and long lasting wet slide on the NE facing slope below the rocks.  Unfortunately I could not see it.  Turns off of 3rd Burroughs were great, but the sun was quickly taking its toll down lower.

By the time I reached Frozen Lake again it appeared that tourist season is now in full gear.  There is good coverage and some tempting runs just off the backside of Sunrise ridge for those who don't have the time to cover much distance.

It was great to run into Joedabaker once again back in the parking lot.  Also good to have an explanation for the loud thump and shake on the way back down as it seemed too late in the season for a collapsing snowpack!

J.P.
Good to see you to J.P.! Yeah- I just hang around in parking lots until active members of TAY come around therefore it looks like I accually hike and ski. From what I hear skiing was a very good day at Sunrise and this morning looks very good -out my window -clear skies. Well-Time to go out and hang out in the parking lot! Have a great day and hope to see some of you folks at the Chute Fest! The snow won't last long!
JDB

J.P. - we ran into Joel in the parking lot as we were leaving (and again in Naches Tavern), but sorry we didn't get a chance to meet you. Joel dropped enough hints about multiple secret stashes, though, that I will make it a point to hook up with you all and see what that is all about (I can keep a secret, despite appearances). Also, thanks for trying to find us in the Dalles over the Memorial weekend. As you noticed, we weren't in #24, having moved to a riverside site on check-in and getting to fall asleep to the sound of the river instead of the highway.

JDB, sorry I missed meeting you - whatever you yelled to us from the bottom of your "parking lot" run didn't come through (Matt and I were trying to figure out if that was Russ down there, having decided to make one more quick run).

Charles

Charles good meeting you and your ski comrades. Sunrises was prime for the poaching. Saturday was great see J.P.'s report. ;)  Those stashes, I do not know what you are talking about?

Charles -

Sounds like I must have just missed meeting you in the parking lot Friday.  You must have been playing out toward Dege Peak as I did not see another pair of skis toward the Burroughs until I was back in the parking lot and ran into JDB shortly after 3 p.m.?

As for secret stashes, the only ones I know about have an incredibly poor work v.s. reward ratio, so the fact we tend to never see another set of tracks all winter probably suggests that we are gluttons for punishment rather than holders of great secrets!  :)

Hope to run into you sometime.  Until then, thanks for keeping this "neighborhood" for the ski community such a great place to hang-out when we aren't getting to know each other in roadside turn-outs and parking lots in the hills.

Take care - J.P.

JDB, sorry I missed meeting you - whatever you yelled to us from the bottom of your "parking lot" run didn't come through (Matt and I were trying to figure out if that was Russ down there, having decided to make one more quick run).

I think I yelled-come in the waters warm.

I ran into Russ and he told me that you were Burrough's hopping. I thought of going out since I was a step behind you all day, but the Chutes looked to good to pass up. The one you saw me below I call The Pizza Delivery-Because it has anything you want and it is served hot and fast.
I thought I recognized the long sleeve white shirt that I see in most of Charles pictures. I will run into you sooner or later.

Joel-I called your number to hook up for Sat. and nobody answered.

JDB

Reply to this TR

june-25-2004-sunrise-to-third-burroughs
J.P.
2004-06-25 17:09:22