Home > Trip Reports > June 23, 2010, Chinook Pass, Naches Peak

June 23, 2010, Chinook Pass, Naches Peak

6/23/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Keith_Henson on 6/23/10 10:39pm
First day out since the lifts closed.  Headed back to the north side. Easy skinning on the sticky snow which was over 6 inches of granulated snow. Went to the side of the giant old slab and booted up to just below the summit.

Was a little gripped since I hadn't skied for over a month and the very steep start. Set off slides  all the way down but nothing serious. As it apparently had not frozen overnight and then thawed, the skiing was not that great as the snow was deep enough to be heavy.

Headed back down to the car and picked up my tennis shoes for the scramble pitch and then climbed to the summit  via the north ridge and skied back down to the car. Again, the snow was deep and somewhat heavy No problem to ski, just not the enjoyable corn I'm craving.

Saw two skiers below and I yodeled at them from the summit.

Picture 1: the steep start and Tahtlum Peak (point 6567 aka zap's mountain) in the background.

picture 2: the slope I skied showing the slab and crack

picture 3: view from the summit to skiers
author=Keith_Henson link=topic=16991.msg71621#msg71621 date=1277386765]
First day out since the lifts closed. 

???

Good to see you out! Was wondering when I might see your Chinook posts again.

Hey Keith. That was me and my son out there. Your yodeling was awesome! It came out of no where and capped off the day. We were on our way over to Peak 6567 and it skied really well on the North side; no sun cups and firm. I can't yodel, but I clapped madly hoping for an encore. You probably couldn't hear me. Well done, the yodeling and the skiing! Thanks for the pics. It was a beautiful day.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Can't wait to head up to Sunrise next week.

Reply to this TR

june-23-2010-chinook-pass-naches-peak
Keith_Henson
2010-06-24 05:39:25