Home > Trip Reports > June 22, 2010, Mt. Baker, Coleman Headwall Attempt

June 22, 2010, Mt. Baker, Coleman Headwall Attempt

6/22/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by samthaman on 6/23/10 8:19am
Drew Tabke called me up the other day and asked me if I wanted to go ski something up on Mt. Baker. He was vague about what we'd be skiing, but I signed up anyway. It turned into one of the most exhilarating days I've had in the mountains in a long time.

I've included a few of the hi-lights from the day below. The full TR is here

Two routes down the headwall, we intended to ski whichever one felt better.

The top. Photo: Alto (Drew Tabke)

Uhhhh....

The line we did ski. Photo Alto: (Drew Tabke)

Another link to the
Nice ski!!  Just saw Jason Hummels photos of the same line he and the Traslin brothers just did. 

Drew knows how to pick the goods and skis them like the professional freestyle skier he is! DrewTabke
Nice pick for a day out in the mountains and knocking off an exhilarating line.  8) 8)

Thanks for posting Sam, keep it up Drewski!

Way to get after the good weather (finally), and bag a sick line!

author=Lisa link=topic=16990.msg71613#msg71613 date=1277337412">
Nice ski!!  Just saw Jason Hummels photos of the same line he and the Traslin brothers just did. 

Drew knows how to pick the goods and skis them like the professional freestyle skier he is! DrewTabke
Nice pick for a day out in the mountains and knocking off an exhilarating line.  8) 8)

Thanks for posting Sam, keep it up Drewski!

Thanks! Do you have a link to those photos? They're what motivated Drew to suggest the line, but I actually never got a chance to look at them.

Does the line we skied, or that part of the mountain, have a name at all (remember, I just moved here)? I was kind of hoping to see if there were other TR's out there so I could see see what the route was like at other times it had been skied. I've got my eye on the chute that runs under the icefall now, it looked like it'd be a lot of fun on a cold, icefall-free, day. 

Holy cow Sam!  What a line!  Glad you did not make like the ice.

Pleasure skiing with you, Sam. What a killer first outing together!

I was talking to Sky and he said he, Jason, and Ben skied the couloir under the seracs in 2003.

Looking forward to more!

Oh and Lisa's making me blush.

author=tabski link=topic=16990.msg71625#msg71625 date=1277396876]
Pleasure skiing with you, Sam. What a killer first outing together!

I was talking to Sky and he said he, Jason, and Ben skied the couloir under the seracs in 2003.

Looking forward to more!

Oh and Lisa's making me blush.

Likewise, I had a lot of fun, thanks for the phone call.

I knew someone had to have skied it (or at least considered it...), it's too obvious not to.

Making a big important pro skier blush? No way!

Looks like you guys did the Headwall adjacent to the Roman Nose.  Here is the link to Jason's photos.  I figured that's what got Drew's attention.

Jason Hummel Photography

Drew is a humble Pro Skier and all around great guy who easily blushes.  ;)

Nothing at all fail or "attempt" about that, looks like a success any way I look at it! Great pictures in on your web page of the ice fall collapses too. I love Drew's hat in that one picture - is that what I am missing to take it to the pro level? ;)

Good ski....

Looks  like anouther great day in the mountains.....  :)

That looks like a great ski guys.  Good work on waiting out the clouds.  It seems to usually work the opposite way for me.  I climb up to the top of the line in clear skies and the clouds set in while I prepare to drop....  maybe I need to climb faster  ;)

Thanks for sharing your photos Sam.  It's nice to have some famous internet skiers around to show us the best lines.

Reply to this TR

june-22-2010-mt-baker-coleman-headwall-attempt
samthaman
2010-06-23 15:19:27