Home > Trip Reports > June 20-22, 2010, Goat Rocks, Old Snowy

June 20-22, 2010, Goat Rocks, Old Snowy

6/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by rootsman on 6/23/10 5:39am
Spring skiing has finally arrived! At least in the Goat Rocks. Taking friend Andrew along to break trail, we left early Sunday morning and made it from Portland to the North Fork Tieton trailhead in a surprisingly quick 3.5 hours. This despite the fact that we were temporarily delayed by a hundred runners in the road, who were apparently headed up Round Mountain.

The trail was in great shape on the way in, but was noticeably more chewed up on the hike out. Deep horseshoe prints in the trail seemed to indicate a possible explanation. We hit consistent snow shortly before the junction with the PCT, but the trail had melted out significantly by the time we headed out. Coming from McCall Basin on the way out, we kept our skis on until about a half mile before the PCT/NFT junction and then just booted through the alternating dry trail and steeply angled snowbanks until the trail was completely snow free. 

After a few route finding challenges, good luck and the occasional cut end of a log led us to McCall Basin, where we promptly found that the only spot in the whole basin that was melted out also happened to be a perfect campsite. Judging by a couple of old piles of horse sh*t, it serves as a horse camp in the summer, but we weren't complaining as the rest of the basin was three feet deep in wet snow.

It didn't look like there had been much or any fresh snow from the recent storm cycles that dumped on Hood, and in Glacier Basin we found a mostly consolidated pack that grew progressively and predictably softer as the day went on. There were scattered areas where we booted up through a 2-3 inch thick breakable crust over deep snowcone, but we were able to find excellent snow to ski by avoiding areas that had received early sun. We did see some small cornice collapses that caused sloughs, but none of these ran on any but the steepest slopes, and then they didn't run too far.

We found the easy way from McCall into Glacier Basin (hint-boot up the short slope at the start of the canyon and then follow the obvious bench) and enjoyed some great turns, including a memorable ski from the summit of Old Snowy on an inch of creamed corn over a packed base. Oh yeah, now I remember what's so great about spring skiing...

Didn't see another person from the moment we hit the trail, though tracks revealed a day hiker that passed unnoticed. We stopped for burgers and refreshments at the Blue Spruce in Packwood and got to watch the locals compete in a Wii bowling tournament on a big screen tv. Two thumbs up.
looks like a lot of fun to be had on old snowy!

Thanks for the TR. Do you happen to know if you can get to the Snowgrass Flats trailhead?

Not sure about Snowgrass, we considered it as well. The issue is that the road spends a lot of time above 4000' on the way the to TH and it only takes a shady corner to screw you.

If you do make it in, here's what it looked like the other day...

Goat Lake is in the upper right of the first shot, the second is the Flats and lower valley.

I've pretty much gotten up into the goat rocks every year for the past 15 or so. Not this year. That's why this TR is especially nice. Thanks for sharing! (OMG, there is a TON of snow).

Thanks for the info and pics, we did a week backpacking there last Fall and planned to get in there to ski this spring. Doesn't look the same with all the snow, and to think we were desperate for water, gets pretty dry around there.

Hey, thanks for the TR.  Off to get some turns in that basin tomorrow AM.
I love that view and that haaaaa! feeling when you drop out of the trees and turn the corner into the basin.  The McCall beckons you with that huge bitch-slap "Here I am, come and get me" attitude.

Reply to this TR

june-20-22-2010-goat-rocks-old-snowy
rootsman
2010-06-23 12:39:03