Home > Trip Reports > June 22, 2010, Silver Peak Dawn Patrol

June 22, 2010, Silver Peak Dawn Patrol

6/22/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by scotteryx on 6/22/10 6:25am
2 friends and I arrived at the trailhead @ 4:45 this morning and drove quite a ways up the access road towards the base of Silver (off the main forest road spur).

Left @ 5 with only a few patches to boot across, and a few bare spots in the trees before the open slopes of the basin. On top @ 6:15 and then down the hourglass chute (TNT, do you know the name?) and out through the trees.

The early bird did not get the worm as it was only corn for the top 200 feet, then frozen suncups. Can still ski almost to the car on the road, but it is bumpy and difficult when frozen. I am sure a secent would have ben much better @ 9 or 10 a.m.
author=scotteryx link=topic=16982.msg71556#msg71556 date=1277241920]
Left @ 5 with only a few patches to boot across, and a few bare spots in the trees before the open slopes of the basin. On top @ 6:15 and then down the hourglass chute (TNT, do you know the name?) and out through the trees.

The early bird did not get the worm as it was only corn for the top 200 feet, then frozen suncups. Can still ski almost to the car on the road, but it is bumpy and difficult when frozen. I am sure a secent would have ben much better @ 9 or 10 a.m.

"Out through the trees"?  And then back to the road in the clearcut?  How?

We got the better snow after 11AM, but poor routefinding kept us from reaching the ridgecrest.  :-(

I am not sure, only my 2nd time on SP, but I followed the same route TNT took me up on Friday. From the high point we rode down another way than we came up, down through a chute and out to the clearcut and road.

Thx for the TR.

Is red or yellow the descent route? I've only been in the east or west bowls when there for skiing.

Did you boot or skin? What percentage if both. Thx.

Red is the descent line. The hourglass chute is probably going to melt out in the middle real soon and make for a fun moat jump with a very fast landing. I am sure Jason Hummel can get a photo of someone doing that?

I only booted about 20% of the hike, and of that only half of that was in the trees and road. It was quite firm and icy @ 5 a.m., so skinning was difficult up the 2 last slopes before the "skiers" summit.

Reply to this TR

june-22-2010-silver-peak-dawn-patrol
scotteryx
2010-06-22 13:25:20