Home > Trip Reports > June 17, 2010, South Sister, Oregon

June 17, 2010, South Sister, Oregon

6/17/10
OR elsewhere
Posted by lonetree on 6/18/10 3:26pm
South Sister Oregon

June 17th, 2010

Drove to the Devils Lake trail head in the rain.  With a forecast of 60% chance of rain or snow, we wondered if we were crazy. Devils lake campground and parking area are not plowed yet but there is ample space to leave vehicles on the main road shoulder.

Hiked in dirty snow up to the 6200 ft level and set up camp for the night. It rained or snowed on and off most the night.

Woke up to 3 inches of new snow! We were please to see sunshine on the trees above in the morning so we didn€™t mind the soggy night. Got a late start at 8:30. Temperatures were in the mid 30€™s. Skins were soaked so I boot packed to get out of the shade below timberline to avoid clumping. Snow was soft, new, almost powder on top of a very firm base. Didn€™t post hole at all. My cousin Jon was on snow shoes but didn€™t really need them since it was very cool. I was worried it might soften up with the sun but it never warmed up enough all day to soften the crust under the new snow. Jon didn€™t break through hiking with just boots.

Above timber line it was glorious, and sunny! I could see some clouds and fog in the valleys beginning to form though.

Fully slathered with sun screen we set our sites for the summit looming ahead. I skinned up my Coomba€™s and made tracks on fresh powder! June 17th and still snowing. Skinning was a little tedious with clumping sticky powder when ever I would stop for more than a few seconds. That improved as we ascended for the most part however.

Clouds began building by late morning and fog was also rising. That went on for most the day. There was almost no wind except for a couple spots on the upper mountain

We summited at 2:30 in almost white out conditions. Occasionally it would clear up just enough to get our bearings. Never could see the other sisters though.

Skiing down was fabulous with that new snow, 3-6 inches over that firm crust below. It was wind blown and sculpted at the top but amazingly soft enough to get sweet turns. The lower mountain was a little sloppy by the time we got there. An earlier start would have been better but I€™m not complaining!

This was my cousin Jon's first time climbing on snow and I was very happy, and excited that he made the summit. His first time glissading was enjoyable but he admitted it was hard watching me have so much fun on the boards. A new skier is born!

I was very excited, and nervous to try my Black Diamond Mid Light Mods. As you know the pole in the middle of a BD Mid Light is kind of a pain, so I got some aluminum poles from an old tent and created a 2 pole dome that attached to grommet anchor points which I sewed to the existing anchors at the bottom. The weather was cold, wet and intermittent snow mixed with rain. I am happy to report that the Mid Mod worked beautifully. We were able to dig down 18 inches below grade, and with the Mid above at the ground level we could actually stand up! I had the factory Mid floor so we stayed dry and comfortable. Still needs a little tweaking but the idea works.

This was my first big mountain ski in Oregon since we moved down here from Washington.

I am very happy to be here.
I was down there monday and tuesday. We turned around tuesday at 9500ft at noon when the clouds moved in on us. The turns were sweet all the way back down to our camp on the green lakes side.   

That is a nice report.
Thanks for sharing-I like that 1st picture, nice mountain.

Nice TR and that first photo is beautiful with fresh snow in the trees and the mountain in the background.  The snow pack looks very healthy.  I'm surprised to hear the parking is still so limited at the Devils Lake TH.

How is the coverage on Tumalo and are the snow machines still active in that area ?

That's a marvelous 'Mid Mod mad move, man.   ::)

Good trip and snow, way to head out in the rain!  Looks from recent TRs that there will be snow in the southern Cascades for a while.  

author=Zap link=topic=16960.msg71465#msg71465 date=1276965754]
Nice TR and that first photo is beautiful with fresh snow in the trees and the mountain in the background.  The snow pack looks very healthy.  I'm surprised to hear the parking is still so limited at the Devils Lake TH.

How is the coverage on Tumalo and are the snow machines still active in that area ?

I can tell you sleds can still get to the wilderness boundary on snow but it is melting extremely fast.  Todd Lake Rd is getting desperate for sleds as of today (was just in Broken Top this morning).

S. Sister remains well covered, as do most of the peaks in the area.  Bachelor is still very, very skiable.  Even Tumalo bowl has coverage.  It's a dirty start at Dutchmans though, and it's illegal to drive sleds on bare ground that is not a road.

author=iain link=topic=16960.msg71560#msg71560 date=1277247262]
... , and it's illegal to drive sleds on bare ground that is not a road.

That is interesting, because this is exactly what  all the sleders did on Mt Adams to get around few fallen trees that blocked the road.

All I know is that on Deschutes NF land it can result in sled confiscation, large fines, and possibly a ban from the area if you are a repeat offender.  Not much worse than rototilling alpine land with a sled track.  Again, I think it's fine on bare road, but certainly unpleasant on a sled.  You won't be seeing sleds too much longer in the Todd Lake/Tumalo area.

author=iain link=topic=16960.msg71562#msg71562 date=1277249279]
All I know is that on Deschutes NF land it can result in sled confiscation, large fines, and possibly a ban from the area if you are a repeat offender.  Not much worse than rototilling alpine land with a sled track.  Again, I think it's fine on bare road, but certainly unpleasant on a sled.  You won't be seeing sleds too much longer in the Todd Lake/Tumalo area.

That reminds me of a sled that we saw runnning away on Heliotrope ridge in June 2007.  The thing went from the ridge all the way down the glacier and eventually it disappeared between the trees. Two sleders went for a search with one sled and they also returned with one sled.  The wreck is  probably still there.

Nice report and good work tagging the summit.  Coverage looks amazing -can't still believe how much snow is still up there.  Should still be good well into July!  I'm hoping our second baby gets here soon so I can get out of the house in a few weeks and get some quality July turns.

Reply to this TR

june-17-2010-south-sister-oregon
lonetree
2010-06-18 22:26:36